HMMM Bacon

Started by slrpro02, November 17, 2010, 12:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slrpro02

Hi all:
       I have been coming on here reading for approx. 2yrs. Thanks you guys I can finally cook ribs, pulled pork,brisket,meatloaf,& prime rib. Well I ordered a cooled smoke adapter, it arrived about 1wk ago. I want to cold smoke different things, but really want to start with bacon. BLT's is like my favorite in life. Good bacon, home grown ugly tomato & I'm in heaven. Here is the problem I live in Detroit Mi. & I want to get the best pork belly I can, but don't know where is the best place to buy, any buddy from around here (zip 48209) could possibly help. I have read on this site that once you make your own bacon you will never buy store bought again.
                                                                                                                                                                          THANKS

FLBentRider

I went to my local grocer, asked for the meat manager and asked him to order me a pork belly.

I got a smithfield belly, still in the cryovac.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

That is what I was going to suggest. Go make friends with the Manager in the Meat dept of you favorite Grocery store. Tell him what your wanting to do, and that you need a fresh belly or fresh side pork not sliced. Of course if you make some snack sticks or other sausage and you should just happen to have a tester in your pocket for him to try or take home and try. That always helps. The guys in the meat dept can be your best friend. The tell you when to buy and when not to buy. My guys at the lockers and grocery know me and know what I am looking for and making. They take good care of me. Ask Nepas
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

SLR, try this place..

(found the pics on urbanspoon.com)

Tenpoint5

Dang Squirt even Ka Hanu could shop there since they have pictures of everything for him!!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

¡Sí puedo! ¿Dónde está esta tienda magnífica?

TestRocket

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 17, 2010, 11:21:04 AM
¡Sí puedo! ¿Dónde está esta tienda magnífica?

For those of us: No speaky Espanola:
Yes I can! Where is this wonderful shop?

BuyLowSellHigh

Something tells me that's not the Piggly Wiggly.   :D   ;D 

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 17, 2010, 07:24:18 AM
I went to my local grocer, asked for the meat manager and asked him to order me a pork belly.

I tried that at 4 different local grocery stores - same answer form each .. sure, no problem, except you have to take a whole case, usually about 70 lbs.  How many cases would you like ?

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

slrpro02

Thanks everone
                     Hey squirtthecat that place is a block away from me. I go there often never noticed the sign for porkbellies. I will be there tomorrow. THANKS

KyNola

Quote from: slrpro02 on November 17, 2010, 04:05:26 PM
Thanks everone
                     Hey squirtthecat that place is a block away from me. I go there often never noticed the sign for porkbellies. I will be there tomorrow. THANKS
Uh..excuse me slrpro but WHAT?!  That place is a block away from you?  For real?  Dude, you have been going to the motherlode! :D

All kidding aside, you are so very lucky.

FLBentRider

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on November 17, 2010, 03:21:21 PM
Something tells me that's not the Piggly Wiggly.   :D   ;D 

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 17, 2010, 07:24:18 AM

I tried that at 4 different local grocery stores - same answer form each .. sure, no problem, except you have to take a whole case, usually about 70 lbs.  How many cases would you like ?

Sounds like a bacon party:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7654.0

My minimum order was 1 belly, the above post was 2 bellies, I think.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

If you have to order a larger quantity of fresh bellies than you plan on smoking right away, it does freeze rather well. Of course I don't make Bacon from scratch, I now have Tenpoint5 1/4 to do that for me. ;D

BuyLowSellHigh

You know, I might consider it IF I could see the quality before I bought it.  I'm finishing a batch of bacon this afternoon from a belly I got two weeks ago, and that belly is/was so thin I almost decided to turn it into trim and fat for sausage.  But what the heck, plus I'd be making a whole lot of of sausage.  It probably would have been a great one for NePaS to use in his bacon jerky.  I need to find a different source.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here