Cheese smoke for the first time

Started by _Bear_, October 29, 2010, 06:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

Well, after reading some of these posts I decided I'd better get some cheese so went to the Bulk cheese warehouse.  Got some 5 yr old white cheddar and some cheddar with horseradish.   Tomorrow is a hunting day so I'll get to it Monday or Tuesday.

pensrock

They both will be great, I have done both kinds many times.  :)

squirtthecat

wetzel1977

I just did 10lbs of copper Sharp and a 1 lb of pepper cheese last night temps here in NEPA were in the high 30's @ night, smoker never went over 77 degrees. Smoked with Apple of course for 2 hours then let them sit for  about 20 mins to 30 mins then Vac sealed them up i ended up with 26 peices of smoked cheese that will be ready for consumption for the Holidays which i will be giving to friends and family to share. This is the third time i smoked cheese and it has been good to me so far.
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Oysterhog

I opened some after almost 2 weeks (couldn't wait). 3½ blocks of cheddar quartered. Yum. Shredded some over scrambled eggs this morning, then some slices later. I'll be doing this again. Alternated cherry and apple for 2 hours with a Bradley cold smoker. I also placed a Ziploc full of ice over the top of the smoke tube to help keep it cool.

_Bear_

I decided I wanted the Bradley cold smoking rig, so I orderd one and postponed smoking the cheese untill Tuesday when it gets here. I belive if I am going to do something I may as well over do it LOL.
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

_Bear_

Won't be here untill  Thursday, think I wll cold smoke some nuts at the same time. Next I am going to cold smoke some salmon.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

RAF128

squirtthecat

RAF128

If you do drive up I'll get you to pick up some cigars for me ;).  My source got promoted and he doesn't fly to Chicago anymore on a regular basis.

squirtthecat

Quote from: RAF128 on November 02, 2010, 07:52:08 AM
If you do drive up I'll get you to pick up some cigars for me ;).  My source got promoted and he doesn't fly to Chicago anymore on a regular basis.

Let me know, and I can get you a supply next time I'm in Chicago..   We usually get up there once a year or so.

_Bear_

OK, here we go.  Ambiant  temp is 43*F, 3 pucks of Apple and 3 of Hickory mixed. Box temp is 55*. Lets see how it does. I need a better knife for cutting the cheese (no pun intended  :D)  Excuse the filthy deck, I need to do some more cleaning  ;D

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

squirtthecat

Nice load!

Saw a tip once for cutting cheese...   Get a length of clean fishing line and wrap dowel rods/spatulas/whatever around both ends of it real nice and tight.   Makes a perfect device for cutting cheese.

_Bear_

2 hrs, box temp never got above 64*f. Now into the  fridge untill Christmas. I need to find some of that  matting. Going to smoke a cross rib roast sometime this week, then I am going to try my hand at  cold smoking some salmon.

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.