Summer Sausage recipe???????????????

Started by bundy, October 30, 2010, 05:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

Anyone have a simple Summer Sausage recipe for Moose ?

Tenpoint5

Bundy,
I know this is a bologna recipe but if you run the meat through the small plate on your grinder and stuff in summer sausage casings this make a pretty good summer sausage. I have a few friends that I gave this recipe to that have quit taking there deer to locker plants and now make there own summer sausage at home with this recipe. You can use it as a basic recipe then kick it up from there by adding in high temp cheese and or jalapenos.

Deer Bologna
For German Bologna use Lean Beef instead of venison
For 10 lbs:

7 lbs venison
3 lbs pork butts
1 tsp ground white pepper
3 Tbs ground mustard
1 Tbs ground celery
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garlic powder
4.5 Tbs powdered dextrose
2 cups soy protein concentrate (or Substitute with Non Fat Dry Milk)
2 cups ice water
2 tsp Instacure #1 (DQ Curing salt #1, Prague Powder #1, pink salt)
4 Tbs salt

Grind meat through 3/16' grinder plate. Mix ingredients and distribute evenly, add water as you go. Bologna is usually stuffed into 8" diameter casings but 3.5", 5" or any size that is handy will work too. Hang at room temperature until casings are dry. Place in preheated smoker at 165 degrees, until internal temp reaches 150 degrees. Remove and cool in a water bath until internal temp is brought down to around 90 degrees. This type of bologna is usually not smoked. If you like a more store bought look, be sure to emulsify the meat while grinding.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bundy

SoCalBuilder

:D :D Got all excited when I saw this post. I love summer sausage, which may be a bad thing. But I can't think of the last time I saw a moose wandering around in San Diego so I guess I'll to look for an alternative.  Sea gull sausage? Yuck!!!

Tenpoint5

SoCal just use beef with this recipe and make your own like that.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

goblism

Let me talk to my uncle and see if its alright to give out his recipe that I use...simply one of the best I have used.  If anyone is interested in some 2.8X20" casings I just ordered a few too many by accident.

smokeNcanuck

QuoteLet me talk to my uncle and see if its alright to give out his recipe that I use

DO IT, DO IT,DO IT!!! It's not fair not to share ;)
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

goblism

Well he got it from the company he use to work for, and my wife isn't really big into summer sausage and she went, "This is good....REALLY GOOD!"

pikeman_95

Tenpoint
I was looking at your summer sausage brew and it sure looks close to mine. I only have a little clove and a whole lot of mustard seed. It doesn't change the taste but gives you those little jewels to bite into. I see that you have ground celery. Is that celery or celery seed. I have not seen that any where. I was told at one time that celery is the unique taste in polish sausage.

PM

NePaSmoKer

10.5 has a good recipe for ya there.

Going to be hunting season by the time i get back so i will be posting Venison SS pics  ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pikeman_95 on October 30, 2010, 08:43:57 PM
Tenpoint
I was looking at your summer sausage brew and it sure looks close to mine. I only have a little clove and a whole lot of mustard seed. It doesn't change the taste but gives you those little jewels to bite into. I see that you have ground celery. Is that celery or celery seed. I have not seen that any where. I was told at one time that celery is the unique taste in polish sausage.

PM

Kirby
I just went and looked and I guess I use celery salt in mine. I would try the celery seed though.

Sailor

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 31, 2010, 07:01:02 AM
Quote from: pikeman_95 on October 30, 2010, 08:43:57 PM
Tenpoint

PM

Kirby
I just went and looked and I guess I use celery salt in mine. I would try the celery seed though.
Normally recipes call for 1tsp of salt per 1 pound of meat and I note that this 10lb recipe calls for 4 TBS of salt which would be 12 tsp.  If you used celery salt this would also increase the salt content.  Did you find the SS too salty or just about right?  As soon as I get back from my trip my powered dextrose should be here and I am going to give this SS a try.  I will be using beef as I don't hunt anymore.  It sure sounds good.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Tenpoint5

Wasn't salty at all it was really good. I have some new casings ordered and I will be making some more of this as soon as they get here.

pikeman_95

ten point
I have been looking to find the flavor of the good old Costco polish dog and I do not believe it is the same flavors found in polish kielbasa. I was told at one time it was ground celery but I have never found ground celery just celery seed.

Kirby

Sailor

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 31, 2010, 07:26:36 AM
Wasn't salty at all it was really good. I have some new casings ordered and I will be making some more of this as soon as they get here.
BTW  I did copy this recipe down and it is stored in the computer....just sayin that it is safe.  Just in case something happens to your copy of the recipe.  :o  Little inside humor there. ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.