New to Ham

Started by NWsmoker, October 30, 2010, 10:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsmoker

I have a Twenty pound Leg of Pork, and was looking for opinions on the best way to make this into a ham?

TO inject or not?

Bone in or out?

simple salt sugar brine with  instacure#1?

on a side note this is a great place with some friendly folks, and a depth that is simply amazing.

Quarlow

Sounds like you are on the right track. I haven't done one but others have. You will probably want to inject. I would leave the bone in. The brine sounds good cause you don't want to put to much flavourings in or you will mask the ham taste. Not sure about the instacure #1 or tenderquick but you will have to decide on fresh ham or cured ham. One of the knowledgeable staff members will be along soon to answer all your questions. Don't use me as a guideline. These other folks know there stuff. I am just grabbing little bits I have retained from this forum on the subject.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

Sorry no one answered you sooner. Took me a while to find the threads I was looking for,
Yes, I would both brine and inject. You should inject about 15% by weight.

I left the bone in mostly because I am no good a de-boning.

I used TenPoint 5's recipe for the brine:
see this thread (it is near the end of the thread)
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8442.30

Here is the thread of the ham I did.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17873.0

Hope this helps. Post if  you have any other questions.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Hey what do you mean (Sorry no one answered you sooner. ) What am I chopped meat here.  :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

ooops.  ::) ::) Sorry, been a long day. Making jerky for the first time.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Hi NWsmoker;

Welcome to the forum.

Here is another recipe for curing and smoking a ham.
Smoked Cured Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)