Halibet

Started by armpower, October 30, 2010, 11:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armpower

Quarlow

No, but I would try Halibut since I don't know what Halibet is. ;D  Just kidding. You know we just have to tease spelling mistakes around here. I think someone has done some with good result. I really love halbut, I just can't afford it around here and we have alot of it here. I tell you when I get my boat in a year or so you will find me on the halibut grounds for sure.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Wildcat

I like Halibut as well. That is one big flounder lol. I would like to catch a couple one of these days.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Quarlow

Just a little info in case you didn't know this already. When Halibut are born they swim upright and have one eye on each side. As they go through their first year the eye migrates to the other side and then the Halibut swims on the flat as a flatfish. Or so I am told. Maybe I should have googled this first. But it was told by an old fisherman.....ok maybe I will go check it out to confirm.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

This is from wikipedia.

The halibut is the largest flat fish, averaging 11–13.5 kilograms (24–30 lb), but catch as large as 333 kilograms (734 lb) have been reported; the largest recently recorded[5] was 211 kilograms (470 lb) and 2.5 metres (8.2 ft) long.[6][7] They are gray-black on the top side with an off-white underbelly. At birth they have an eye on each side of the head, and swim like a salmon. After about 6 months one eye migrates to the other side, making them look more like other flounder. At the same time the stationary-eyed side darkens to match the top side, while the other side remains white. This color scheme disguises halibut from above (blending with the ocean floor) and from below (blending into the light from the sky) and is known as countershading.

So this is proof that not all fishermans tales are Bul.s.it.  :D :D :D

OBS
BBQ

Wildcat

We only have warm water flounder here along the gulf coast, but they are some good eats.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Quarlow

We have a flatfish here called a "lemon soul" and I will be damned but if you fry them with a little butter the lemon flavour is very distinct.

OBS
BBQ

armpower

you will find i spell very fanatically ;D  my wife is a teacher,  HATES IT ;)

hal4uk

Halibut is very good eats.  Haven't smoked any, but it would have to be good...  Halibut cheeks are even better (the cheeks from the head), but hard to come by.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

smoker pete

Haven't smoked halibut yet but I still have some halibut in the freezer that I caught out of Homer, Alaska this summer.  Not enough for a load in the OBS to smoke but I like using the halibut in a couple of chowda recipes I use.  Man, even at Costco they charge over $18 a lb  :'( :'(

Here a shot of a couple of small halibuts I caught this summer.  You're looking at $235 worth of fish here!! ... That's what it cost for the charter BUT it was worth every minute of the experience!!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

SouthernSmoked

Hello

I've done Halibet several times in my Bradley...

Here is one that I posted this summer.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17199.0
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Slamdunk

Quarlow, the price of halibut around here is high now, but just wait, its going a lot higher.

I usually order 50 pounds of fresh frozen and it costs me about $13.00 per pound, I didn't order any this year as it is nearly $17.00. The fellow I order from has a few seafood restaurants and he doesn't think he'll be able to sell very much halibut at all given his cost.

Quarlow

Yeah given the cost of halibut, I can be very happy with a nice chunk of Ling Cod for sure.
And I know what you mean Armpower about teachers. My dad was married to a teacher and I loved nothing better than to say things wrong or spell incorrectly cause it drove her nuts. It was good fun but not for her. She was wound to tight.  :D :D :D

OBS
BBQ

chumly

Smoked Halibut very tasty, take the Halibut and cut up into 2 inch squares or serving size portions, brine in a bucket with rock salt and water, 5 gallon bucket one cup of salt stir and place Halibut chunks in leave for no more than a couple of hours, drain and dry then place in smoker, cold smoke for at least a day until it has a nice golden color sometimes overnight maybe the next day until supper time depending on how thick you have the pieces. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes or so, serve with mashed spuds and veg of choice , one of the best smoked fish you will ever taste. Steelhead and Black Cod is also great done this way along with Ling cod.
Last Halibut I caught was 165 pounds, lots of smoking and eating fresh.

Kummok

Halibut, (aka "flatfish", "flatties", "whites", "barndoors" around here), is like a utility fish to me....LOTS of it here and always a guaranteed catch. Got a freezer full of the stuff and running out of ways to make it taste different but I don't really get tired of it. Contrary to a lot of beliefs, it can be caught year round here in Kachemak Bay (Homer). Good info Quarlow....when we rib each other about the size of their catch, we make a reference like, "Sheeesh...The eyes haven't even turned yet...throw it back!"

Here's a few whites (with some Ling & Yellow Eye mixed in on the same trips) that were worthy enough to have pics taken...a few exceeding the 250lb range....all caught from my neighbors' (Bob/Harriet) private boat, 'Anglers Anonymous'.