Porcini Rubbed Smoked Strip Steak

Started by BuyLowSellHigh, October 30, 2010, 05:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

A couple of weeks ago wife and I went out for a "date night" to one of our favorites, The Capital Grill in Houston.  For the first time I tried their Porcini Crusted Rib Eye.  Thought it was pretty good and wanted to do something similar with an added kiss of smoke.

A little research turned up several versions of a Porcini rub, all using dried Porcini mushroom powder.  Checked my favorite source for spices & herbs, The Spice House, bingo!  This arrived yesterday. 8 oz of dried Porcini mushroom powder.

I considered several different versions of a rub and concocted my own.  The rub mix was

¼ cup Porcini powder
2 Tb pure salt
1 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic

Combine and mix all ingredients well, and store in an airtight container away from heat and light.

Last week I made a major meat run to Sam's. which included a whole USDA Choice strip loin.  After some trimming and cutting I had 11 1.5-inch / 17-18 oz strip steaks, like these.

Steak prep was a few drops of EVOO, a heavy coating of the rub, wrap in plastic and into the fridge for 24 hours.  Then let 'em warm at room temp for about an hour, and then scrape off rub.  From there it was into the Bradley preheated and set to set to 200 °F for 40 minutes of Pecan smoke, then onto a very hot gasser for a sear finish to medium rare for the wife (I prefer a purple cold-center myself).  After all that they looked like this.

Wife's plate, steak drizzled with a 10-year balsamic syrup, along with those great Syracuse Salt Potatoes (thanks again, Habs) and some simple asparagus.

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

squirtthecat

That works for me!

Hmm.  Wonder else you could do w/ that Porcini mushroom powder..

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 30, 2010, 06:38:13 PM

Hmm.  Wonder else you could do w/ that Porcini mushroom powder..

Maybe this - with black garlic ?

Or how about a Porcini mayo, used here with grilled artichokes?

I was thinking that it might fit in nice with a coffee & coco rub.

I also want to try adding it to the flour when I make a batch of pasta - Porcini Tagliatelle.

Think Porcini rubbed bacon would have a chance ?  Thinking adding it after a cure but before the smoke.  I also think the rub I made and used tonight would be good on some simple grilled pork belly.

squirtthecat

Porcini + coffee rubbed bacon...   I'm liking that.
Maybe mixed in your favorite meatloaf. (inside out mushroom gravy)
Or sprinkled in some Mies for some fake fried stuff.

Ok..   Dammit - I'm hungry again!

Gizmo

That is a thing of beauty BLSH.
Looks like I need another trip to Houston.   ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah... Looks Awesome!

Let's Eat!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

classicrockgriller

:o WOW!  :o

Fantastic!

Lunch at your place next road trip.

What was the the deal with "Scraping the Rub Off"?

Did it penetrate the meat and doesn't grill good?

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

BuyLowSellHigh

Thanks, guys.  They turned out pretty decent.  I'm not a big fan of strip loin, but these were well above average.  It met the critical test - wife was pleased and kids loved it.

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 30, 2010, 09:03:28 PM

What was the the deal with "Scraping the Rub Off"?

Did it penetrate the meat and doesn't grill good?

A really good question, CRG.  I gritted my teeth over that, but decided to follow Mario Batali's lead as I was going to do a very high temp sear finish (gasser was showing ~750 ° on the surface when it tossed 'em on), and all I thought would happen with the rub, which becomes a paste sitting on the steak, was a very burned Porcini layer.  With the 24 hour rest the flavor was there, subtle, just like the smoke.  A kiss of both.

Right now I have a half-baked plan to use this same rub on a rib roast over the upcoming holiday period.  In that case (roasting) the rub will stay.  I suspect it will make a for a very fine crust.  I think it would probably be alright also if the steaks were broiled rather than grilled.

squirtthecat

Man, I need to swing into one of those Spice House stores..     Only a short 4 hour jaunt from here.  :(

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 31, 2010, 08:26:07 AM

Man, I need to swing into one of those Spice House stores..     Only a short 4 hour jaunt from here.  :(

I was thinking the same thing but something tells me that neither one of us make that much money to be allowed to roam free with a shopping basket Cart in one of those places!!

Some good looking grub BLSH
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

3rensho

BLSH, my jaw dropped when I saw those steaks.  That is some BEAUTIFUL meat.  Ain't gonna find something like that in these parts  :'(
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

hal4uk

Maybe CRG will meet us up there...
Looks like it's pretty close to the MONKEES!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Quote from: hal4uk on November 01, 2010, 09:55:25 AM
Maybe CRG will meet us up there...
Looks like it's pretty close to the MONKEES!

Wouldn't that be something...   Think they'll let us taste everything like the did at Penzey's?

[cough cough wheeze cough sneeze cough cough]