Smoking Venison sausage for the first time any help??

Started by wetzel1977, October 30, 2010, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetzel1977

I plan on Smoking about 7lbs of uncured fresh Venison sausage in my BDS do i really have to hang them becuase of the caseing? My  plan was to smoke with apple for 1.5 hours then with Hickory for 2 hours   @ 225 degrees. Let me know what use think if i should change anything. like  not the right  temp? or smoke  flavors. I just like this combo in my pulled pork and other meat that i have done in the past    Let me know i will be smoking in the morning right know i am cold smoking cheese here in the Hills of NEPA at night with temps in the low 40's. Thanks
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Tenpoint5

I myself am concerned with the "uncured" part of this whole equation. I just like to see a cure when you are smoking sausage at a low temp for long periods especially when your not planning on eating it right away
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wetzel1977

I just threw that in there becuase  no curing salt was used.  I have made Deer sausge before but boiled it up and made it with a sauce with peppers and onions. Just want something different. U think what i plan on doing is going to be good? I will be making sure it get 152 before i eat it
BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Tenpoint5

I'm not condemning what you want to do. But voicing a concern that having the meat at such a low temp for 3 hours in a warm moist environment is the perfect breading ground for all kinds of nasty things to start their life cycle. I would hate to see anyone get sick.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wetzel1977

u think i should go 280 for 3 hours or till done? No i didn't take anything the wrong way nor did i mean it like that. I want some insight so i don't get sick nor waste a 0 load of meat. let me know what u would do. Thanks
BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

wetzel1977

BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Sailor

You can cut the meat from the casing and add 1tsp of cure #1 per 5lbs of meat and then stuff again.  Then you can smoke without any worries.  

You stated that you plan to have the smoker at 225 and that will cook the sausage in about 1 hrs time so you will not be able to apply the 3 or 4 hrs of smoke that you wanted. I have done many batches of fresh sausage in the OBS at 225 and it "cooks" just fine.  "Smoking" at 140 allows the meat to absorb the smoke and it takes many hours to get the IT up to 155 while you ramp the cabinet temp up from 140 to 170. 

Temp from 40 to 140 in a wet environment with little to no oxygen will grow bad nasty stuff.  A smoker is a perfect place for this stuff to grow and that is why cure #1 has to be used when you smoke at a low temp.  

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

wetzel1977

I would cut the meat from the caseing but my buddy is the one who stuffed it and he let this week for a hunting trip. Could i boil them for 12 mins then smoke them or do the oppisite. let me know thanks
BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Sailor

I have poached sausage many times.  I get a pot of water going at 160 to 180 and plop them in.  Cook until an IT of 155 and pull.  I then freeze them.  I can then put them on the grill or pan fry to get a crisp exterior.  I have never tried to put cooked sausages in a smoker and apply smoke to them.  Seems to me that if I cooked a hunk of meat that I would not want to put it in a smoker at a low temp for very long.  Kinda like leaving a good cooked steak sitting on the counter overnight and then eating it. 

Tenpoint5

After talking with Wetzel we came to the conclusion that he is going to apply 1-2 hours of smoke at 225ยบ then pull out of the smoker and finish on the grill.

Sailor

Yep...I was just about to suggest that.  I had it all typed out and when I went to post it ...it said another post had been posted.  1 to 2 hours of smoke will make him happy and keep him safe.   ;D

wetzel1977

Thanks 2 10.5 he gave me a good conclusion on what to do !! Thanks will let you know how it turns out !!
BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

wetzel1977

Did a trail run with 5 venison sausages smoked  for 1.75 hours using Hickory @ 230 in my BDS.  After 1.75 hours the It temp of the sausages was 160 but for added measure like 10.5 told me to do i through them on the grill for a bit 5- 10- mins . They were very moist and not over powered with smoke   when done the it temp was around 165-172 ish very satisifed !!
BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Sailor