Yesterday's cook

Started by GusRobin, October 31, 2010, 09:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

While I was fighting my depression for not being in FL living the good life and eating the great food, I decided to make some jerky (first time) and some chorizo.

Jerky marinaded and ready to go in the smoker

In the smoker, smoking away

All done and ready to eat

Chorizo stuffed. I did good from the standpoint of only having 1 bust out during the stuffing, Still need to buy the stuffer for Christmas. I did have a problem when twisting the links. I had a number of the links bust out when I was twisting them. That is why in the picture you see strings of only 1 and 2 links. Don't know if i stuffed the sausage too tight or what the problem was. Any advice?

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

Everything looks great Gus.

I would be inclined to think that you had them stuffed a little full if the where busting open when twisting. You will be able to stuff full like that when you get the stuffer because then you can twist as your stuffing. If your going to be using you grinder for a while when stuffing try to pinch the link  about where you will be twisting as your stuffing. This will give you a small void to allow for the twisting, or just dont stuff them quite as full! Confused yet?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Keymaster

Looks good Gus, I might have yah beat on gettin a Lem stuffer, but then again I havent told the wife I ordered it yet  ::) I might be pumping sausages out from underneath a bridge somewhere  ;D

GusRobin

Quote from: Keymaster on October 31, 2010, 11:08:01 AM
Looks good Gus, I might have yah beat on gettin a Lem stuffer, but then again I havent told the wife I ordered it yet  ::) I might be pumping sausages out from underneath a bridge somewhere  ;D
Last year about this time I was mainly using a gasser and UDS, until a friend told me about his bradley and this forum. I became hooked and advised the family that I was going to be very considerate and save them the time of buying me a Christmas present. I would buy all my own presents that they could then give me. So I proceeded to order an OBS, PID, bubba pucks, the items to add the second element, frog mats, various types of pucks, and a meat slicer. Shortly after the boxes started to arrive at the house. Although I was considerate to them, they were mean to me and made me wait until Christmas to open them. I was like a 2 year old come Christmas morning. So far this Christmas list includes a stuffer, a couple more racks, and maybe a marinade machine.

SoCalBuilder

Gus - Nice looking jerky. When I make it in the dehydrator, it is a dark brown color. Yours is that gorgeous mahogany color. Is that the cure that does that and are what else did you use? BTW Brisket in FTC stage, thanks again - Randy

GusRobin

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on October 31, 2010, 11:36:34 AM
Gus - Nice looking jerky. When I make it in the dehydrator, it is a dark brown color. Yours is that gorgeous mahogany color. Is that the cure that does that and are what else did you use? BTW Brisket in FTC stage, thanks again - Randy

Not sure what does it. I made half the batch using the following recipe from ozbach, except added 1 tsp of cure #1
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16875.0

the other half I used a recipe that Nepasmoker posted
1 cup teritaki sauce
1 teasp minced garlic
1/2 t salt
1/8 to 1/4 t cure
1 lb meat strips

I then piu in the smoker with 5 pucks of apple at 150 for 2 1/2 hrs and then at 170# until done.

SouthernSmoked

Dang Tootin, that's some nice looking jerky...
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

classicrockgriller

NePaSmoKer

TestRocket

Well about all I can say is I'm dang happy to have someone like Gus living so close by to do all this experimenting! I think my family will be happily fed for it!  ;D 

BuyLowSellHigh

More good looking stuff, GR.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here