Water Problem

Started by babyhewi, October 31, 2010, 09:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyhewi

Hi-
I'm looking for some insight please!!  Every smoke so far (3) with the OBS the water has evaporated completely within 2-3 hours.  Today I'm smoking one spare and 2 bbs.  Boiled the water before adding it. Filled 2/3 to 3/4 full in anticipation of evaporation.  Have brick for heat retention.  No other modifications. Can anyone explain this?   

classicrockgriller

You will have to replace the water as needed.

Alot of us use a disposible 13 x 9 cake pan so it doesn't have to be done as often.

Heat will cause water to evaporate.

Tenpoint5

That is normal. Not only does the water evaporate it is also absorbed by the pucks when they fall into the water pan. Most of the water loss is because of the pucks. That is why it is recommended to dump and refill after the smoke time is completed.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

babyhewi

Ok so it's normal for the water to be gone so quickly!! What a relief.  My impression was it should last like 5-6 hours of smoking.  I just ordered bubba pucks two days ago and now I'm gonna get a big water pan.  The learning curve is never ending.  And to boot today is flipping windy in CT.  I had to put a make shift enclosure just to get the temp over 200.  And it's 55+ degrees here!!! God I hope these come out good.  Hey while I have your eyes and ears- how often do you spritz.  I say spritz cause I'm using a spray bottle to mist the ribs.  Thanks again to everyone.  The people here really are sooooo generous with their knowledge!!!

GusRobin

Quote from: babyhewi on October 31, 2010, 10:50:51 AM
how often do you spritz. 
I cook ribs using the 3-2-1 method (3 hours rubbed or naked, 2 hours foiled with some type of liquid spritz on it - beer, apple juice are what I use most often and 1 hour unfoiled with sauce on it) or some variation such as 2-1-2 depending upon the ribs. When I spritz the cooking ribs or butts or brisket I usually do it ad hoc when I go check the water, get another beer, or I'm just peeking (I like to peek a lot). So I don't really have a rule of thumb timewise. I will adjust based upon how the meat looks. I know you probably were looing for a more definitive answer, but my cooking usually includes a lot of variation each time. I keep good notes of each so when I hit something that comes out especially good I have an idea if what I did.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

Myself I do not spritz ribs as I believe that falls under the "If your Lookin you AINT Cookin!!" Category. I believe there is enough fat in ribs that they self baste. If I was going to spritz I wouldn't do it until AFTER the smoke period. The smoke WILL NOT STICK to wet meat. I would only spritz every half hour and be quick about it, the longer the door is open the more heat is lost and the longer your cook is going to take.

posted with Gus
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

Quote from: babyhewi on October 31, 2010, 10:50:51 AM
OK so it's normal for the water to be gone so quickly!! What a relief.  My impression was it should last like 5-6 hours of smoking. 
I may have interpreted this wrong. I notice you said this, and I had to wonder how long you put the smoke to the things you are smoking. 5 to 6 hrs for ribs is alot of smoke. You would likely only need 1 1/2 hrs for ribs 2 hrs top. An 8 lb pork butt only gets 4 to 5 hrs of smoke.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Spritzing is ok, but only 2 to 3 times in the last part of the cook.

AND .... you have to allow cooking time if you open the door alot.

Opening the door will probably slow down your cook time 20 to 30 minutes each time.

babyhewi

Quarlow-
I don't smoke that long.  Didn't mean to give that impression.  I did 3 hours for the ribs.  Had a definite smokey flavor but I liked it.  I will experiment with smoke time next weekend when I'm doing more ribs.  Your reply made me think of a question if you don't mind.  I thought you wanted water in the pan for the entire cook time.  Is this true?   

GusRobin

Quote from: babyhewi on October 31, 2010, 07:59:49 PM
  I thought you wanted water in the pan for the entire cook time.  Is this true?   
Yes. Otherwise you will end up with a pan full of grease and it could lead to a grease fire. The water dilutes the grease. I change water after the smoke is done to get the pucks out of the grease equation and refill with hot/boiling clean water.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Well most of the time you want water in the pan. But for certain things you want to empty the pan once the smoke is done. Like jerky, nuts, chicken but make sure you put the pan back in, and basicly anything that needs to dry. I know there are a few others that I can't think of right now. The pan shouldn't really get hot enough that grease without water in it would catch fire. But that said, I think most other things benefit from the moisture like ribs, brisket and pork butts, and salmon too. It keeps those things from drying out too much.
As for the amount of smoke, I just wanted to make sure you didn't over smoke. It is better to start with less and wish for more than it is to have too much and not like it. I like a lot of smoke but others don't. In fact if you are smoke for a meal with company coming you might want to ask if they have had smoked food and how much they like smoke. If you are not use to it it can be very overpowering.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

BH, the water pan filled (moisture in the cabinet) is very good for most things (things you are not trying to dehydrate), but (IMHO) it is critical for ribs.  If ribs dry out, they are ruined (read:garbage).  That is why the 3-2-1 method, already mentioned, is so popular.  But, then again, while in foil, you have to remember that the ribs are basically steaming,  which can remove natural juices, fat, and the smoke flavor you worked so hard to get.  The point is, it's a balancing act; you must ensure plenty of moisture, but try for no more than you really need.  It may (will) take some experimenting to get them to where YOU think they are perfect (which is all that matters).
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

babyhewi

Well I survived the rib experiment!  The OBS wouldn't get past 207!  I'm thinking it was because of the wind that day but that was VERY frustrating.  The flavor was great! But I wanted a more tender pull from the bone and that wasn't the case.  I took lots of pics and will try to post them later tonight.  Thanks again to all and I'm open to more feedback of course. T

Ka Honu

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 31, 2010, 09:48:36 AMHeat will cause water to evaporate.

I'd heard that - good to have it confirmed.

elweezo

2 2 1 method        I figure u dont use smoke while its in the foil... Do U use smoke the last hour?

Thanks
weasel
I thought I had something intersting to put here but then I thought again