Generator blowing fuses

Started by Tommy3Putts, October 31, 2010, 11:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy3Putts

I have a BDS6.  The generator blew a fuse and has repeatedly blown replacement fuses.  I've tried four 10 amp/250v fuses from Radio Shack.  It blows the fuse almost immediately when I turn the smoke generator on.  Any ideas on the cause.

Thanks

T3PS

GusRobin

Are you sure it is not the outlet or extension cord (if using one). Did you add the second element - a friend started blowing fuses when he miswired the connections when installing the elelment --(ok ok I miswired it when I was helping him)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

BuyLowSellHigh

If you turn the generator on without the cord to the cabinet connected, does it blow the fuse?  If not then the problem may be in the heating element circuit / wiring.  If it still blows then I would suspect a short inside the SG itself - maybe a loose wire inside.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Tommy3Putts on October 31, 2010, 11:13:57 AM
I have a BDS6.  The generator blew a fuse and has repeatedly blown replacement fuses.  I've tried four 10 amp/250v fuses from Radio Shack.  It blows the fuse almost immediately when I turn the smoke generator on.  Any ideas on the cause.

Thanks

T3PS

I am not an electrician, but I tought the basic rule is that the fuse rated at 250/10 amps will give you

5 amps at 125. I thought that sounded low, so I looked at mine and it is 16 amps at 250.

Hope this helps ..... but you may have a loose wire.

Tommy3Putts

Hi CRG (and everyone else)

Thanks. Plugged the generator only into outlet w/o extension cord.  Blew the fuse immediately.

CRG, the issue arose a few weeks ago during a long smoke of four butts.  It happened in the middle of the night, but that's another story.  I spoke to a Bradley rep and he said they use 10 amp fuses. And try a new fuse first. So I got those from radio shack.  Are you saying I could use 16 at 250 w/o harming the generator?  I'm guessing there is something going on with the generator as well.  Weird it was working just fine until a few weeks ago.

Thoughts?  Thanks

T3Ps

Habanero Smoker

Another possibility; stuff can build up around connectors and cause a short. The generator may be do for a good cleaning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Tommy3Putts on October 31, 2010, 01:56:30 PM
Hi CRG (and everyone else)

Thanks. Plugged the generator only into outlet w/o extension cord.  Blew the fuse immediately.

CRG, the issue arose a few weeks ago during a long smoke of four butts.  It happened in the middle of the night, but that's another story.  I spoke to a Bradley rep and he said they use 10 amp fuses. And try a new fuse first. So I got those from radio shack.  Are you saying I could use 16 at 250 w/o harming the generator?  I'm guessing there is something going on with the generator as well.  Weird it was working just fine until a few weeks ago.

Thoughts?  Thanks

T3Ps

T3ps, I gave you some wrong info. I checked again (With my glasses on ;D) and the factory fuse is a 10 amp/250 vt.

Hope it didn't make you run to radio shack and get new size fuse.

Just sounds like a wire is loose or dirty in the generator.

Turn the gen upside down and remove the OUTER screws only! (Not the middle screws)

It comes apart like a clam shell. Check your connections.

BuyLowSellHigh

Okay, your test suggests it's in the SG itself.  I'd open it and give it a good cleaning as HabS suggests, then check all the connections.  There;s a good write-up on the Recipe site in the FAQ secion on how to open and clean the smoke generator here.

Like CRG, I'm no electrician but I thought fuses were power related.  If that's the case wouldn't 10A @ 250 be 20A at 125 ?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on October 31, 2010, 02:15:06 PM
Okay, your test suggests it's in the SG itself.  I'd open it and give it a good cleaning as HabS suggests, then check all the connections.  There;s a good write-up on the Recipe site in the FAQ secion on how to open and clean the smoke generator here.

Like CRG, I'm no electrician but I thought fuses were power related.  If that's the case wouldn't 10A @ 250 be 20A at 125 ?

Told you I was no electrician. ;D Thought it went the other way.

Tommy3Putts

Gosh you guys are going to make me work on a Sunday afternoon.  I'm lounging on the couch watching football.  Okay I'll open up the bad boy and give him a scrubbing.  Thanks
everyone.  Will see what happens.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 31, 2010, 02:18:40 PM

Like CRG, I'm no electrician but I thought fuses were power related.  If that's the case wouldn't 10A @ 250 be 20A at 125 ?

Told you I was no electrician. ;D Thought it went the other way.

[/quote]

Me neither.  Famous last words ... we can't both be wrong, can we?      ;D

Tommy3Putts

Okay so I got up off the couch and opened up the generator.  Other than some stray wood chips it wasn't too dirty.  I noticed no loose wires.  I checked all connections and gave the insides a quick cleaning.  Still blew a fuse.  Bummer.  I'll give Bradley a call tomorrow.

Thanks all for the help.

T3Ps

Quarlow

Well don't feel bad. My SG has worked flawless since I got it. Then I started using my bubba pucks (only 2) and it wouldn't cycle the pucks threw. Luckily I have a spare SG. I have it apart and can see nothing wrong so I will be drilling out my Bubba pucks to lighten them.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: Tommy3Putts on October 31, 2010, 03:14:53 PM
Okay so I got up off the couch and opened up the generator.  Other than some stray wood chips it wasn't too dirty.  I noticed no loose wires.  I checked all connections and gave the insides a quick cleaning.  Still blew a fuse.  Bummer.  I'll give Bradley a call tomorrow.

Thanks all for the help.

T3Ps

Hi T3ps

Give this a try, open the generator back up then unplug the bisquette burner connection
put another fuse in and turn the smoke generator on if it doesnt blow the fuse your problem is in the bisquette burner.

the fuse is a 10 amp 250V

Brian

Tommy3Putts

Brian

Thank you.  I just spoke to Frank and he is sending me a new burner.  Thank you! 

Great customer service from Bradley.  I love you guys.  I wish other businesses were as good as you guys.

Thanks

Tommy3Putts
Arlington VA.

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on October 31, 2010, 06:46:46 PM
Quote from: Tommy3Putts on October 31, 2010, 03:14:53 PM

Thanks all for the help.

T3Ps

Hi T3ps

Give this a try, open the generator back up then unplug the bisquette burner connection
put another fuse in and turn the smoke generator on if it doesnt blow the fuse your problem is in the bisquette burner.

the fuse is a 10 amp 250V

Brian