Yet More Cheese

Started by ArnieM, November 01, 2010, 11:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

The temp went down so I got the cheese out of the freezer.  Then the temp went up to low to mid 70's during the day.  Meanwhile the fridge mouse nibbled at some.  ;D

The temp went back down today.  This is a brief smoking log.

Two hours of apple wood.  Temps are outside/cabinet.

Start:  41/60 and very breezy.  The breezy is a good thing.

One hour in:  43/88.  Getting too hot.  I use my 'universal' door cracker to open the door some.  Below.

I can slide it toward or away from the hinge to adjust the amount of opening.  If you have a chain saw, you likely have one of these.

End of smoke:  45/85.  I turned off the SG, closed the door and let it sit there for 10 minutes.  It's now cooling on the counter before the vac pack.

I found two things interesting.  The cheese really didn't take on any color.  It usually does when smoked in the 80's.  Also, the cheddar seemed to 'bleed' milk.  I've never seen that before.  I wonder if it had to do with being frozen.

The cheese.  Mozzarella, cheddar, muenster and pepper jack.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

Nice!  And puzzling too.  I don't think I've ever seen anything like that on cheese, except the whey that exudes from fresh Mozz.  Is that fresh Mozz in the upper photo?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

The Mozz is prepackaged.  It was above the cheddar.  I think you're correct in assuming it 'leaked' some whey.  Thanks for the info.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.