Burnt out heating element?

Started by pwaldman, November 01, 2010, 06:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwaldman

Thanks to all that have replied.  I was not trying to give off a warning of "the sky is falling", I just wanted to reassure myself that elements burning open that early are out of the norm.  I understand about voltage spike which normally do not occur in my area and that the PID and/or one of the fuses should have been affected had a sufficiently high spike occurred.  Agree about the great service and the quality of the products.  Just waiting on the new element so I can get back to smoking and sharing with this group.

Pete

classicrockgriller

I have been reading and posting on the Forum going on two years, and the

number of people that have had a burnt out element that has reported it on

the Forum is a small hand full. I have used mine sometimes 7 days in a roll and

I haven't had a problem. Bradley took care of all the problems and everyone is

smokin". So whatcha gonna smoke now?

Cleaver

Well since grey cup is almost apon us again. I'm planning a on ten rack of ribs for the 28th.
Thanks again to Mr. Walleye for the PID I installed into a old computer power supply case. Which already has one plug built in.
I'm all excited waiting for the heater mod to be finished. Drilled holes and just waiting for heaters to show up.

Mr Walleye

Your welcome Cleaver. You'll have that baby smokin' in no time.  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tevans1224

Guess what? I had the exact same issue with mine.  I'm afraid it has something to do with the PID.  Mine also died at the 4 hour mark.  That's the common thing that I've read from a couple of the other posts here.  What happens at the four hour mark that could possibly cause the heating element to die at that time?

tevans1224

Oh, by the way, my last post is in no way a complaint.  I've had my Bradley for about 4 years with no problems.  I love it!  I just think it's weird that the ones that are burning up the heating element are all at 4 hours.  Something must be happen within the smoker at the 4 hour mark to cause it.

dman4505

Element in mine went out today I'll have to wait until my next day off to call and order a new one.
Two hours into Turkey Day, had to pull the bird out and straight into the oven.
Hope customer service is as nice as everyone here paints them to be, I've only had my OBS since July.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

starship

I "THINK" I damaged one last week. I left out the V shield, and cleaned my elements. Now one won't come on.
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

Hawg35

Hello all!

First off great forum with so much information, been lurking here for months since buying a OBS...which I love.

My question, does anybody have detailed troubleshooting instructions for a burnt out element?  Wanted to smoke some chicken wings today and not getting any heat from the main element.  Checked fuze, power cords, adjusted the slider switch setting, etc but nothing helps.  Bradley customer service is closed until Mon but I would like to at least figure out what the problem is over the weekend.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Habanero Smoker

Lately there seems to be a multitude of elements going bad. Since it was so uncommon in the past; even for the glass elements; a FAQ has never been written up. If someone would like to post those trouble shooting tips for checking the element I would glady post it on the recipe site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dman4505

Got off the phone this evening with customer service, they're the best, the lady I spoke with walked me through a couple trouble shooting items and then took my delivery information. Should have a new element in a few days since they're in Illinois and I'm in Iowa.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Hawg35

I will also vouch for Bradleys customer service.  Called them yesterday, he talked thru the troubleshooting, then put a new heating element in the mail today...should be back in smoke by the weekend.

Here is how he had me troubleshoot the element:

1.  Plug the small cord (smoke generator to smoker) into the long cord (outlet to smoke generator).  Wanted to take the generator out of the equation.
2.  Check the condition of the slider switch, make sure there is no obvious damage.
3.  Ensure the power light on the smoker is on.
4.  Try various positions of the slider switch and check for heat from the element (in case there is a "dead" spot on the slider).

We never got any heat out of the element so they put a new one in the mail for me.  He seemed surprised that the element was bad because I have only had the smoker since August and keep it under the Bradley cover on a covered porch in Tucson so it is not old or exposed to the elements.  Hoping the new part works and I will be back smoking this weekend!

thirtydaZe

Just going to add to this thread as i just stumbled upon it today.

My heating element quit heating on thanksgiving day after about 12 or so hours.  I too was using a PID.

Called Bradley yesterday, did my troubleshooting last night and had to leave a message for call back today.

Although my Heating Element hasn't been confirmed, from the sounds of it, that where the problem is pointing to.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Brisket Lover

Mine died twice, well so I thought because both times it was something else. Somehow moisture got to the slider board the one time, the other was a blown fuse.

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: Hawg35 on November 30, 2010, 07:29:55 PM
Here is how he had me troubleshoot the element:

1.  Plug the small cord (smoke generator to smoker) into the long cord (outlet to smoke generator).  Wanted to take the generator out of the equation.
2.  Check the condition of the slider switch, make sure there is no obvious damage.
3.  Ensure the power light on the smoker is on.
4.  Try various positions of the slider switch and check for heat from the element (in case there is a "dead" spot on the slider).

These are all good troubleshooting tips.

("Dead spot on the slider" I have never run into this yet)

The best way to check your heat element is with a electrical meter, either check it for continuity or a ohm reading, this will tell you positively if it is burnt out.

Brian