Converting a Lang Proofer to a Smoker (for a dummy)

Started by dumdum, November 01, 2010, 06:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumdum

Hello All! I made my first post pertaining to this in reply to a similar topic as a newbie to your forum. I've decided to post 'new' and include pictures to clarify my project. I greatly appreciate Mr. Walleye's recent advice (hope he gives up much more) and also thank GusRobin for his words of support!
This project will be my second attempt. The first build was all on my own as I was unfortunately not smart enough to think of consulting pros as found here on the forum. That smoker (and I promise someday to post a couple hideous pictures) rendered two kinds of meat: cold with lots of red blood, or, well...just eat all the cigarette butts you can find in one of those dump cannisters at the Walmart entrance and you'll experience a 'mild' likeness of the end effect! BUT...I'm getting smarter (and tired of burping butts), so.........
I've come up with a Lang Proofer I wish to convert. The first picture shows the unit with all the internal components and glass doors removed once we got the big first layer of grime taken off. Okay...not 'we'...I confess...'she'. (I better be straight in case she reads this). HEY.....I brought her a beer almost every time I needed one)!

The next pic shows the 'lift-out heat duct' that hangs in the back of the proofer. It channels heat upward dispersing it out the duct's side holes:

This pic shows the heat duct inserted on the proofers back wall:

This pic shows the existing Heat and Humidity unit (control and components). The entire unit slides out the bottom of the proofer. By design the system only goes to 110 degrees F. Its wired 110V so I'll want to upgrade the heat to obtain the higher temperatures this forum is showing me are needed. (Though the 110 degrees would be a vast improvement over my first design..there's a clue for you!):

In this pic the stainless cover is removed from the heating unit. One can see the small coil, small fan, and the water sump that fills from the front of the unit and feeds the heating cup located directly behind the fan and heat source:

Finally, the last pic shows the back side of the heat unit. I'm pointing it out to show the rectangular opening in the wall which engages to the heat duct when the unit is in place, thus channeling the 'moist heat' throughout the proofer:

My first big question centers around the renovation of the Heat and Humidity unit: It occurs to me the unit could be a nice place to install elements or strip heaters after a good cleaning of course (I'll probably help a little more with this one...dinner wasn't the greatest for a few nights after the initial cabinet clean job)! I'd think I'd  feed it with an external blower and use the humidity generator for certain smoking procedures if that makes any sense. Seems too a converted/upgraded 'Heating Unit' could offer element protection (under the cover) along with a nice unit 'service' factor.  So PLEASE throw me all your thoughts and suggestions! Tell me if/how the humidity portion could be of value. Do you think the heat will flow up through the existing heat duct? Would I cut the smoke generator into the heating unit for the smoke to also be dispersed with the heat and blower? Or should it be placed into the proofer just above the unit?
Thanks to all for reading this lengthy post. I'll try and post some other info and unit dimensions soon.

hal4uk

Wow...  That's quite a project you're taking on...
ClassicRockGriller or NePaSmoker can probably help you out when they see this.
Good luck!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Habanero Smoker

Mr Walleye (Mike) can also be very helpful in this area. He has built a few of them, with some unique modifications.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Hi DD

Just a couple of thoughts come to mind on your project.

For heating, it might be possible to run a couple of finned strip heaters with a larger blower running across them in you existing slide in unit. One thing to keep in mind is a fined strip heater requires a certain amount of air flow so it doesn't overheat and burn out. Here's a couple of photos that show 2 finned strip heaters and a recirculating blower for air flow. I'm not sure if this would work for sure or not but it might spark a few ideas for you.

In my opinion I would not mount the smoke generator in the slid in heating area because the air flow could speed the burning of the pucks.

Looks like a great project!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes