Smoked Chicken Leg Quarters

Started by smoker pete, November 01, 2010, 08:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

I was having smoking withdrawals so I decided to check out my local SaveMart for something to smoke.   Ran across some fresh Foster Farms Chicken Leg Quarters for $4.  Figured it was too good to pass up!

For my impromptu smoke I rubbed some EVOO and Johnny's Garlic Spread.  Preheated OBS to 250º, vent wide open, and used 2 hours of 2-1 smoke using Special Blend/Apple mix.

3 hours later, I pulled the leg quarters when thigh IT hit 180º and rested in foil for 20 minutes while I fixed the rest of the meal.  OBS never did get back to 250º.  Hovered around 235-240º.  I need to get off my a** and install that second heating element.

Quick and dirty ... Made a little Chicken & Garlic Rice-a-Roni and salad.  The $$shot ...

I think I'm starting to become a 'smoke eater' cause the chicken turned out scrumptious but it was a little mild in the smoke department.  I know some smokers swear by hickory on just about everything but I have yet to use it much on anything.  How does hickory work on chicken?

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

hal4uk

Hickory is awsome on chicken!
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Nice!   I'm all out of the Johnny's garlic spread...  They used to carry it (in the tiny bottles) in stores around here - but no more.

Maybe we could arrange a trade.  ;D ;D

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

Nice looking chicken.  To echo my hickory loving friend who used to reside in KY where I still reside, hickory is awesome on chicken.

Next time, go to the recipe website and make you up some of Jan's Dry Rub and apply to your chicken just before going in the smoker.  JDR was originally developed for chicken.  I should know, Jan is my wife! ;)

SoCalBuilder

Okay - You guys are making my head hurt...Garlic spread? I never would have thought to use that for anything other than garlic bread. Makes sense though I guess, some kind of butter/oil base, garlic and seasonings. But what next, peanut butter? Bad enough that I now walk aimlessly through the meat and vegetable departments wondering how this or that will smoke. Now I have to wander all the other aisles pondering the possibilites.

You've taken my addiction to another level ;)

ArnieM

That chicken looks good SP.  I usually use apple.  I guess I'll have to try hickory next time.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

If I were not going to use hickory, apple would be my next choice.  I like it a lot too Arnie.

smoker pete

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 02, 2010, 04:52:45 AM

Nice!   I'm all out of the Johnny's garlic spread...  They used to carry it (in the tiny bottles) in stores around here - but no more.

Maybe we could arrange a trade.  ;D ;D

No problem STC.  PM me and we'll work it out.

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on November 02, 2010, 07:15:34 AM
Nice looking chicken.  To echo my hickory loving friend who used to reside in KY where I still reside, hickory is awesome on chicken.

Next time, go to the recipe website and make you up some of Jan's Dry Rub and apply to your chicken just before going in the smoker.  JDR was originally developed for chicken.  I should know, Jan is my wife! ;)
Make sure and get that rub up under the skin good too!
(Leg quarters are very easy to work the rub under the skin)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

smoker pete

Quote from: hal4uk on November 02, 2010, 10:16:52 AM
Quote from: KyNola on November 02, 2010, 07:15:34 AM

Make sure and get that rub up under the skin good too!
(Leg quarters are very easy to work the rub under the skin)

Will do Hal.  Thanks for the heads up on Jan's Dry Rub .  I have seen countless references to your wife's rub.  Just printed out the recipe and will gather up needed spices.  Makes me want to run out and get some more chicken to try it on.  But then again I don't really need any excuse to smoke chicken.

I will definitely work the rub under the skin and use hickory.  Guess it's time to give hickory a try on chicken.  I just know that the combo of hickory and Jan's Dry Rub will be a killer.

smoker pete

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on November 02, 2010, 07:37:22 AM
Okay - You guys are making my head hurt...Garlic spread? I never would have thought to use that for anything other than garlic bread. Makes sense though I guess, some kind of butter/oil base, garlic and seasonings. But what next, peanut butter? Bad enough that I now walk aimlessly through the meat and vegetable departments wondering how this or that will smoke. Now I have to wander all the other aisles pondering the possibilites.

You've taken my addiction to another level ;)

Since it appears SCB that you're in Southern California (I'm in Northern California) I think you might like to try smoking a Tri-Tip using a recipe I found on the forum using a 50/50 mix of Johnny's Garlic Spread and Montreal Steak Seasoning with Jim Beam bisquettes.  Here is the link detailing my results: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18303.0  and here is what the Tip looked like.  If you like Tri-Tip you need to do one of these!!!

After seeing this baby, I just took out a Tri-Tip from the freezer to smoke on Friday  ;D ;D

**Note** You have to find cryovac Tri-Tip with the fat cap on.  Costco up here only carries the Tips after they have been trimmed but you might want to check out a Smart & Final if you have them down there or a WalMart Super store.

SoCalBuilder

Pete - The picture of the tri-tip sold me. I'll definitely check the link. I don't think I've ever seen the garlic spread here, so I'll have to do a little recon. We do have Smart and Final here but the political whiz-kids we have here won't allow a Super Wal-Mart within the city limits. Protecting the grocers or some such thing. Thanks for link!

smoker pete

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on November 02, 2010, 11:27:53 AM
Pete - The picture of the tri-tip sold me. I'll definitely check the link. I don't think I've ever seen the garlic spread here, so I'll have to do a little recon. We do have Smart and Final here but the political whiz-kids we have here won't allow a Super Wal-Mart within the city limits. Protecting the grocers or some such thing. Thanks for link!

You can find Johnny's Garlic Spread at Smart & Final and at Costco.  We too have the same political whiz-kids up here  >:(

rdevous

What section of the store would I find Johnny's Garlic Spread?  I looked in several stores here and did not see it where I thought it would be.

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!