Experiment - Dehydrating Peppers in the OBS

Started by ArnieM, November 02, 2010, 01:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 03, 2010, 11:33:31 AM
Quote from: ArnieM on November 03, 2010, 08:58:05 AM
I got the Naga Jolokia seeds from pepper joe.  I started them indoors in mid Feb.  They're slow growers.  I didn't get peppers until late August.  Once they get going, they produce a lot of peppers.

The ones in the picture actually ripened in a brown paper bag in the last couple of weeks.  I was surprised they ripened so nicely.

So what your saying is to get them and get them started now to have peppers in May/June

It's doubtful that would work Chris.  They like a lot of sun and heat.  Pepper Joe recommends a mid Feb start indoors.

I put the seeds into those little mesh-wrapped seed starters, along with other pepper seeds.  They went into a 15 gallon 'leaker' aquarium with a screen top to keep the cats out.  It was placed in a south-facing window.  After they were 2-3 inches tall, I transplanted to bathroom size Dixie cups with potting mix.  The Nagas were quite a bit smaller than the other peppers.

Once the weather turned warmer, I put the aquarium out on the deck for a few hours and brought it in at night; portable garden. 

Finally, I transplanted to my Earthbox in early June and left them on the deck (southern exposure).  That's when they started to take off.  They grow more like a bush rather than a 'regular' pepper plant.

I started six plants and gave two away.  Even with the four, I had more peppers than I could use.  I sent 40 or 50 out to forum members.

Next year I'll probably just do Jals and Pablanos.  Tonight is hot Italian sausage and peppers with two red Pablanos and 3-4 smaller green ones.  I really love the taste.  I'll probably throw a green Naga in there too - not too hot.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

ArnieM

I'll probably throw a green Naga in there too - not too hot.

Wrong, it was HOT.

Anyway, finished off the peppers in the electric oven; not nearly set and forget.  I'd let it heat to about 100 and then it coasted up to 170 or so.  It was heater on and off and opening the door to regulate.  Probably about 140 average.  My wife was out this morning.  When she came home she asked "What the HELL are you cooking?"  I hate to see her cry.  :-\

They're nice and crispy now and will be crushed tomorrow.  It was an interesting experiment.
-- Arnie

OU812

Quote from: ArnieM on November 03, 2010, 07:22:10 PM

When she came home she asked "What the HELL are you cooking?" 

I get that all the time.  ::)

pensrock

Nagas are a very long growing pepper. I normally start on Valentines day for a fall harvest, I live in PA. Most other peppers I start the end of Feb. I have dehydrated smoked and fresh habs and they come out great. I normally use penos and cayenne for pepper flakes and the habs/nags grind fine into a powder. A little goes a long way.  :)

ArnieM

I have a commercial jar of the Jal flakes and I love 'em.  More taste than the red pepper flakes IMHO.

It was cold and rainy so I ground up the Nagas in the kitchen; not smart.  I have finally stopped sneezing.  Yeah, I think a little WILL go a long way.
-- Arnie

pensrock

I grind my peppers on the deck with a fan blowing on my back.

BuyLowSellHigh

I think with the Nagas you really want a hazmat suit and Scott Air-Pak.

:o   :D    ;D
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

huckaberry3

I have done this before.  1 word of advise is to do this process outdoors or in the garage.  We did it indoors the first time and when we opened the grinder it was like someone busted open a tear gas canister.  Live and Learn.  As they said on the jolokia peppers a little goes a long long ways.  As a side note they do make the hottest wings around.

ArnieM

Mine are all ground.  I had a couple each of red Jals and Cherry peppers in there to.  I'm waiting to use it on some unsuspecting dinner guests.   ;D
-- Arnie

Carter

They are hot little devils!!!

Arnie sent me 3 of them (which was darn nice of him).  I put crushed one fresh one in vinegar and added garlic.  I splash it onto sandwhiches.  Really good.

The other two have been drying on the sill since I got them.  Haven't figured out what to do other than start growing them next Feb for something to do to make my wife raise her eyebrows at me.

The first one I opened, I didn't even take a bite, just ran my finger down the vein to pick up the juice.  Whoo man are these things hot.  Choking hot.

Good fun.

Nice work with the drying.

Carter