HELP!! Pork collar info needed

Started by KyNola, November 19, 2010, 07:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I have two pork collars that came in a package I purchased from Snake River Farms a while back.  It has 2 pork collars in it.  They are around 4 pounds each.  At first I thought they were going to be something like a small pork butt but I have learned it is more of a neck cut.  They are boneless.  Does anyone have any experience with this cut of meat?  I am totally lost.  They are apparently very well marbled.  I'm wondering if you could treat them like a pork butt and do traditional pulled pork or would the fat content simply be too much?  Maybe treat it more like a pork loin and just smoke/cook to an IT of 145 and slice?  Any ideas or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

FLBentRider

I'll stick my "Neck"  ::) out here...

I would think it would be a fairly tender cut... How much work does a neck on a pig do? Although it does have to hold up the head.

I'd rub it up and smoke it to 145-150F, take a sample, if it seems tough, go to 185F.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

I read a couple things about them, and they are the upper part of the shoulder. (makes sense)
Plenty of fat.  I saw a few recipes where they make bacon out of them..

You could set some aside and make some killer Tasso, I bet.

KyNola

Have one of the collars out of the freezer thawing for "something" this weekend. ??? 

Have a nice piece of trimmed pork loin out thawing too.  Going to apply cure to the loin for Canadian Bacon.  Should be ready to smoke next weekend.

KyNola

Posted this same question on another forum and got two answers. One said pulled pork and the other said sliced! :D However, the one that said sliced was Big Poppa of Big Poppa Smokers and a competitive Q'er.  He said he was actaully going to do one today so I'm going to go to school on his if he posts.

My buddy from TX, CRG sent me some John Henry Rubs.  He reminded me last night in the chat room that I had not yet used any of them.  That is about to change.  I think when I smoke that pork collar, it is going to be wearing some John Henry Apple Rub.

Thanks for the rubs and the nudge CRG!

Hopefully more to come on this topic later.

squirtthecat

Watching this!    The JH Pecan rub is awesome as well..   

KyNola

Saving the JH Pecan for ribs Pat!  Saw what a pretty color the Pecan rub lays on ribs.

Decided I'm not waiting on BP.  Gonna light this candle soon.

Stay tuned kids.

KyNola

Pork collar is in the MAK.  Moving this to non-Bradley equipment section.