Need help from the pro's

Started by SL2010, October 31, 2010, 06:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SL2010

I tried to make a  mustard BBQ sauce and it was good just missing some thing hopefully some can see what it is
1 cup mustard
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbs butter
1 tbs Worcestershire
1 tbs lemon juice
and the following spices
sea salt
black pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
ground mustard
smoked hot paprika
Cayenne
ground cumin
after i mixed it i heated it to boil the simmer for 30 mins It has the heat that i am looking for just missing some thing
thank you

pensrock

I'm just guessing but how about some hot pepper flakes?

SL2010

Thanks Im gonna make some more this week i will try that

BuyLowSellHigh

That looks like a good sauce.  Not knowing what you feel is missing or what flavor element you want to add, all we can do is guess.

To tune your sauce first be sure you have the salt-sweet-sour-bitter balance you want, starting with.  If you want a bit sweeter you might add a bit of honey or molasses.  If you want a bit more sour maybe some lemon juice.  If you want to punch both of those. maybe sweet and sour, by adding both some honey or molasses and some lemon juice.  How about the bitter side ?  Cider vinegar has a bitter note that can be detracting.  To get by that try substituting some plain rice vinegar or lemon juice.

After that do you have as much of the  added flavoring you want - garlic, onion, etc.  It may be just a tad more or less of one of those. Sometimes it's not so much a matter of adding something but rather taking something out that is complicating or confusing the flavor profile you really want.

Other flavor elements you might consider:

Paprika
Ancho chile powder
Ground corriander
Ground cloves
Ground allspice

For more and different heat
Chipotle chile powder
Ground Jalapeno powder
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Tenpoint5

Looking at my yellow sauce I would suggest adding a few squirts of Hot Sauce to the mix. The yellow sauce is on the recipe site but here it is:

Yellow Sauce

1 1/2 cups cheap yellow prepared mustard; (NOT Dijon)
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons margarine
4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper; (coarse)
1 1/2 tablespoons Franks Louisiana hot sauce; (or similar)

Simmer for 30 minutes on low heat, whisking while heating.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SL2010

Thanks again for all the help that you guys are giving me My passion for this stuff is becoming my obsession thanks again