Is my smoker working correctly?

Started by twatkins, November 04, 2010, 08:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twatkins

Hi All,

I'm new - only been smoking a few months. I got my Bradley Original for Father's day this year. It seems like it takes a really long time to get hot. Is this normal? Tonight, as a test, I turned it on high with nothing in the smoker. I also turned on the smoking element. After 45 minutes, my smoker was 230 degrees. I expected it to be hotter after 45 minutes. Is something wrong or is that normal?

I'm not using any extension cords (I read people having issues when doing that).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Todd

DTAggie

Welcome twatkins.  What is the air temp outside where you are?  Also, unplug and replug all connections.  Make sure they are tight.  Do you have the heat control slid all the way to the right?  If so, slide it back just a tad and see if this helps.

Habanero Smoker

Hi twatkins;

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to the advice and questions provided by DTAggie; what was your vent setting? Are there any major appliances on that same circuit that the smoker is on? If so, and if it is possible unplug or turn off those appliances while using the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

Check all those things.  A few other thoughts --  what was the temperature outside around the smoker? Was there any wind ?  Did you have the smoke generator turned on too?  All of those will affect the time it takes to get to temperature.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

GusRobin

Add the second element and all those issues will disappear. Your initial time to temp will drop as will your recovery times when you peek. (to me the best part of the dual element is that I get to peek more ;D)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

or add a 900 watt element  with a blower, and yes with a 500 watt element it  takes a while to heat up