Auber PID issue

Started by backstrap, November 05, 2010, 06:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backstrap

Hey ya'll,
I installed a 2nd burner a couple years ago following Hab's instructions.  Worked great for a few months then quit heating up.  I isolated the problem to the auber pid, sent it back & they repaired it.  Said the plug burnt up.  Well, its worked for a few more months but once again the pid is not operating.  Has anyone else had a problem like this?   I can't afford to continually have the pid repaired. The PID is suppose to handle 1400+ watts & I'm using 2 - 500 watt elements. HELP!     

classicrockgriller

Have you checked to see how much volts/amps you are

getting at the plug where you plug the Bradley up?

Your connection may be shared by other appliances in

the House.

beefmann

which version of pid are you  running? there are two, one is for an ssr and the other  uses a built in relay.. do you  know which one you  are  useing?
are you  ruinning a fan or blower of some king?

you  may  have to convert to using an ssr to aid in  running both elements...

GusRobin

I have an OBS with dual elements and have used the Auber PID since day one. First I used the single than later the dual probe model and have not had any issues (knock on wood).
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

lumpy

Double check your 2 burner wires. I had a similar problem and it kept blowing the PID fuses. After taking the BDS apart, there was a short in the wiring that I did for the 2nd burner...................it also eventually blew a whole the size of a pea through the side of the smoker :(

Lumpy

backstrap

Classic,
Wouldn't that cause a house breaker to trip?

backstrap

Beefmann,
How can you identify which unit is which?

backstrap

Lumpy,
I'll check the connections but I'm not blowing fuses and it happens slowly over several smokes.

GusRobin

Quote from: backstrap on November 05, 2010, 10:37:30 AM
Beefmann,

What is your model number?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

Beefmann,

by the model number on the label then check with auberins for the wiring diagram

backstrap

beefmann

mine is a SYL-2342 with a 10 amp relay output

Toker

This one (the Auber) is rated 12A for 120VAC, 10A for 240VAC

backstrap

Hey ya'll, just an update on my problem.  Sent unit back to Auber and they replaced the output plug...seems it was fried.  Auber said if you don't have the plugs in all the way this will happen.  I've had my pid sittin on top of the smoker and the weight from the cord hangin down probably pulled it out some(just guessing).  Anyway, it's back and I'm a smokin.

starship

Quote from: beefmann on November 06, 2010, 07:58:23 AM
mine is a SYL-2342 with a 10 amp relay output

Thats 1200 watts assuming 120VAC. I did pop the fuse one. Never did find out why. Replaced and cooked.
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html