1st timer from Oklahoma (doing my 1st smoke tomorrow for 15)

Started by lukegocowboys, November 05, 2010, 02:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukegocowboys

Just got my Bradley yesterday and am seasoning it now.  Here is my plan for the next two days and it is my 1st time so please give advice.  
6lb pork shoulder rubbed and in the fridge and I plan on putting it on around 1100pm tonight and smoke for 4 hours (hickory).  I will cook it for 9 hours in the bradley at 210 and then in the oven at 150 for 3 hours as I have to get my ribs started.  Once the shoulder comes out I will put my ribs in around 8am (they are rubbed and in the fridge).  Smoke for 4 hours and cook a total of 6 hours at 210.  I then plan on taking the shoulder out putting in tin foil with some apple juice and placing in my cooler for 3 hours.  Will do the same with the ribs but only for 1-2 hours.  I also have some jalapeƱos I was going to stuff and put in the smoker with the ribs for a few hours. (will that work?)  I also have about 2 lbs of bologna and I plan on also smoking that at the same time as the ribs.  I used Arts Barkaboo rub and it looks awesome.  One question I have is with my ribs(pork), do I cut off the tip ends where there is no rib?  The butcher removed the membrane for me.  I hope this turns out well or I will look like an idiot in front of the 12-15 people coming over!!  Maybe should have done a practice round 1st!
Thanks for any advice,
Luke

GusRobin

I personally never like to cook overnight without changing out the water and spent pucks before I go to bed. Don't know what time you go to bed but I would start the pork earlier and change out the water prior to bed. You can still start the ribs at 8:00am. The pork would just have more time in the Bradley. If it gets done early you can (1) keep it in FTC longer, (2) pull and put in a crock pot at very low.

Things should come out fine. Judge the pork by IT, not time. Don't panic when it seems like it stalls forever at 160 and resist the temptation to bump the temp. If things appear to be going wrong, someone will usually be on the forum to help so just send out a cry for help. Lastly, if it doesn't come out perfect, give the guests more BBQ sauce and alcohol
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum lukegocowboys!

That is certainly an ambitious agenda right out the chute!

1. Cook the pork butt by IT (Internal temp) not time. Some take longer than others. The IT you are shooting for is 190-200F - There will be a stall around 160-170F -this is when it breaking down the connective tissue into lick-smacking goodness. You can certainly move the pork butt (shoulder) into the oven after the smoke is done. FTC at least a couple of hours.

2. You can leave the tips on or take them off, its a personal preference. The ribs will be done when the meat starts to pull back from the bone, and there is some "flex" in the rack. The rack will go from floppy (raw) to tight (not done yet) and will start to relax as it is getting tender. Some people like their ribs "fall off the bone" and some like a little tug. I would probably foil the ribs with a splash of apple juice after the smoke is done, that will help keep them from drying out. I don't usually FTC ribs, but you can if you need to stage them for serving.

3. A practice round would be suggested... but since you have people coming over...

4. I would put the peppers over the ribs so the ribs get exposed to more heat. I would make sure your vent is at least 1/2 open for all these items.

Try to minimize opening the door, as it takes a while to recover the heat. Take your meat out of the fridge about an hour before you want to put it in the smoker. Empty/refill the water bowl every four hours or so.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

GusRobin

Quote from: lukegocowboys on November 05, 2010, 02:31:38 PM
I will cook it for 9 hours in the bradley at 210 and then in the oven at 150 for 3 hours as I have to get my ribs started.

Just noticed that -- if the shoulder doesn't reach the desired IT of 190ish before you put it in the oven, it will never get done at 150* Again, go by IT not time. If it is not at 190 when you put it in the oven, I would set the oven for no lower than 210ish. While a rule of thumb is 1.5 -2 hours per lb, I have had some 8 lbers that took 20+ hours - depends on the pig.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smoker pete

Welcome to the forum Luke.  Looks like you're in good hand.  Remember that if all else fails provide a little extra Jim Beam  ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Caneyscud

What FLBR and Gusrobin said. 

Plus, what kind of ribs - Baby Backs or Spares?  6 hours might be long for Baby Backs - but about right for Spares. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"