Ready to get rid of OBS!!!

Started by babyhewi, November 06, 2010, 12:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyhewi

Ok GR- I hope I can answer all your questions...starting with #6 first!!! But of course I did, as soon as the hour was respectable!!
1. full open
2. No extension cord
3. Dual sensor probe made by Poulin.  Never had issue with accuracy. Tried thru vent and thru door.
4. In warm weather did 2 8# butts no problem.  Did 3 racks ribs in cool weather couldn't get it back up to temp.  Meat is always room         temp when going in.   
5. Last time did not peek at all.  Left it alone for 3.5 hours of smoking and temp was never above 150.  Did quick rotation and boiling water change and left alone.  Didn't even spritz as I didn't want to open her up.
It's working fine just can't handle the cool temp on the single heat element.  Heats up to temp ok but doesn't recover.  This last time I moved into my shed then eventually put thick plywood and whatever else I could find to build even more of a barrier. 
Slide is all way to right will try to find sweet spot!

GusRobin

Quote from: babyhewi on November 08, 2010, 05:22:20 AM
Ok GR- I hope I can answer all your questions...starting with #6 first!!! But of course I did, as soon as the hour was respectable!!

It is always respectable -as the man said, "it's 5 oclock somewhere"

1. full open

Good- (my opinion. Others will differ. The main point is that it should not be mainly closed.)

2. No extension cord

Good-

3. Dual sensor probe made by Poulin.  Never had issue with accuracy. Tried thru vent and thru door.

Where is the probe that measures the cabinet temp in relationship to the meat. ie. in between racks of meat, under lowest rack of meat, etc. If the probe is not under the lowest rack, and there is meat between the probe and the element, you many times get a lower temp reading.

4. In warm weather did 2 8# butts no problem.  Did 3 racks ribs in cool weather couldn't get it back up to temp.  Meat is always room         temp when going in.   

What time did the butts take? How long did the ribs take? Baby backs, spare ribs, beef ribs?
5. Last time did not peek at all.  Left it alone for 3.5 hours of smoking and temp was never above 150.  Did quick rotation and boiling water change and left alone.  Didn't even spritz as I didn't want to open her up.

If you add a second element you get to peek ;D ;D ;D

Slide is all way to right will try to find sweet spot!
Not all have a "sweet spot". There used to be an issue with a dead spot far to the right, but supposedly that has been corrected in recent models. If you can answer the above follow up questions, it may provide further insight to the issue. Meanwhile, continue with item 6 - it may not solve the problem but if you repeat it enough you won't care as much. ;D ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Caneyscud

Where you have the temperature probe located is important also.  Many have put the meat on the bottom rack and took the cabinet temperature above the meat.  The meat if enough of it, essentially blocks the heat by both absorbing it and physically blocking it. 

Does the element glow the entire time?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Carter

Carter from Toronto here.

I feel your pain in terms of getting temperature up when the weather is cool.  Winter and cool weather is a great time to do Fish as you're not fighting with the outside to moderate the temperature in the bradley.

For Chicken and Pork during cooler times, I tend to do the smoking in the smoker and then bring the meat into the oven to finish.

I'll do that in the summer too, especially if it rains or if I just know I want a controlled non-variable heat.

Carter

babyhewi

Hey GR-
The probe is a single probe with two sensors.  One is located at the tip that goes into the meat and the air temp sensor is at the end of that.  But the temp reading I got from the sensor and the Bradley one in the door weren't off that far from each other.
The butts took about 16 hours or so and the temp was steady-no issues.  It was also end of August/early Sept.
I have tried baby back and pork spare ribs the last two times.  Haven't tried beef yet.  The last overstuffed smoke was 5 spare ribs and 2 babies.  Before that it was 1 baby and 1 spare as a test and even then I couldn't get heat back up.
Thanks for your help.  I think the real solution is a second element and some type of insulation set up.  I will post when I've made the updates.  Thanks all.
T

Quarlow

The next time you use it why don't you try taking 2 paperclips and hang them from the lowest rack with meat on it. Put the clips about 3 or 4 inches apart or however wide it takes to hold your temp probe. Then slide your thermo probe into the paperclips so it is hanging horizontal under the rack. Then watch the temps to see how it goes. You can take it out later and insert it in the meat but try this to see the real temp that your food is recieving. This is how I track the cabinet temps and others do the same. I can't take credit for this, but am glad to pass it on.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

BH - The butt time appears good, you didn't say the time it took for the ribs. If they took 6-7 hrs then your smoker appears to be running good.
As Quarlow said, measure the temp just below the lowest rack of meat. That will tell you the true temp that your meat is seeing.
But I agree, install the 2nd element and don't have too worry.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Habanero Smoker

The location of the probe is my main concern. With those Poder dual temperature probes, you are very limited on where you can locate that probe to measure cabinet temperature; if you still want to monitor the meat temperature. With ribs, you don't want to monitor the meat temperature so as Quarlow suggested place the probe underneath the lowest rack.

As for the sweet spot, I was never convinced there every was one. Brian from Bradley Technologies has posted some time back that it is not an issue with the later models, and he never confirmed there was an issue with the earlier models. I have had my OBS since 2004.

Though many smoke with their vent wide open all the time, you should adjust your vent and see if you will see any improvement in temperatures. If not, then leave it wide open.
What is the purpose of the vent?

Since the above tip was written, some members have made modifications such as a second element, and/or use a larger water pan that exposes a huge surface for water to evaporate, in those cases keeping the vent wide open will either improve or not hinder the temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

babyhewi

babyhewi

From all indications of smoking in warmer temps I don't think I have a problem with the unit heating.  It comes up to temp but doesn't recover once food is in when the weather is cool or windy.  I'm working with a friend who is very handy and will put a second element in.  My question is:  I have limited $$$ so what is an economical device to install to control the 2nd element.  I've looked at those PID's that people recommend but can't swing that.  Plan B?  Also any advice on specifically which element should I purchase and where?  As always the people on here are amazing.  I've looked at other forums and my unbiased opinion is this forum has the most generous people.  Not sure what it is about you Bradley folk but you rock!!
T

GusRobin

The forum write-ups show 3 ways to install the 2nd element. (1) both elements controlled by the temp control slider, (2) the original element controlled by the slider and the 2nd by an on-off switch (3) the original controlled by the temp controller and the 2nd element left always on. By always on I mean that as long as there is power to the cabinet the element will be hot. The PID controls the elements by turning power on and off to the cabinet, thus turning the elements on and off.

I am not sure I would personally do number 1 mainly because I don't have enough knowledge on the limits of the temp slider.

While a PID is strongly recommended with the second element, you probably could do option 2 safely without a PID IF your are vigilant. The slider would control the 1 st element as normal. With the on-off switch you turn on the second element and once it reached temp or recovers temp you turn the 2nd element off with the switch. So you are only using the 2nd element for a short period of time and shutting it off. The risk is if you forget to shut it off. That is where the vigilance comes into play. You could do it until you get to the point where you can get a PID or other controller. There may be a simpler/cheaper PID type controller that one of the other members can point you to but I am not that up to speed on them, so the above would be my temporary solution. ( I wouldn't do it only from the standpoint that I am too forgetful and I don't trust myself not to forget to turn it off.)
Thats my 2 cents and Iam sure others will jump in with other solutions or maybe even point out flawed thinking on my part. ;D

squirtthecat

For a 'cheap PID', take a look at the Ranco temperature controller.   Deb and I (and a few others) have them.
I think mine was around $75 + shipping..

It's not as smart or precise as a PID, as it is just a dumb thermostat.  But it does work.

Caveat:  It tops out at 220°.     I trick mine into running hotter by moving the temperature probe up higher in the cabinet, so the meat is exposed to slightly higher temps.

I've since upgraded to a gently used PID, as I'm going to dabble in sausage making soon.

BuyLowSellHigh

babyh, have you checked to see what kind of temps you get with little or no load in the cabinet at a time when the weather is similar to that when you've had heating issues?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

GusRobin

Quote from: babyhewi on November 12, 2010, 04:41:42 AM
  Also any advice on specifically which element should I purchase and where? 

Forgot to respond to the second part of your question:

Here is a link to the specific page that lists the mods.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?27-Bradley-Accessories-User-Modifications
Here is a link to another guy that did the mod.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16299.15
Here are links to where I bought the parts:
Wire
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=high+temp+connectors&osCsid=undefined&imageField.x=5&imageField.y=6

Terminal -push type
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/777?osCsid=undefined%26imageField.x%3D5%26imageField.y%3D6&imageField.x=5&imageField.y=6

Terminal -Ring Type
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/776?osCsid=undefined%26imageField.x%3D5%26imageField.y%3D6&imageField.x=5&imageField.y=6

If you order them somewhere else make sure that they are high temp wire and connectors. The ones I saw at home depot were rated high temp but only good for 175F. Make sure it says for appliance and the temps are rated at least 300*.I would buy a few extra connectors and extra length of wire. It is cheap insurance if you make a mistake. I was glad I did.
I bought my second element and on/off switch at Yard and Pool
http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Replacement-Heating-Element-p/heatelement.htm.

http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Replacement-On-Off-Switch-p/switch.htm

I have done 2 of the mods, so if you want to discuss lessons learned prior to doing it, PM me and we can arrange to talk.

Habanero Smoker

I would caution against running any of the modifications that increases the heat without a temperature control device.

Just a note, the Ranco is not weather proof, and I could not find a watt rating for their controller. You will need a device that could handle at least 1400 watts. If you go that route, send an email to the company and asked them how much wattage it can control.

Ranco Controller

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)