A Good thermal wrap for 6 rack

Started by chooch, November 06, 2010, 02:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooch

Anyone know of a good thermal wrap for a 6 rack? I'm trying not to ask the wife to make something for it.  ???

smoker pete

How about using/modifying one of those Hot Water Heater 'Blanket'.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Jarck

I found a blue fluffy thing on the bed last weekend and wrapped up my bs6r with it.(comforter if what I think the wife was screaming)

Smokin Soon

I've seen a couple of members using a welding blanket from Harbor Freight. Check the specs to see if will do a complete wrap..

squirtthecat

That's where I got my welding blanket...  I think it is 4' x 6' - or something like that.

Habanero Smoker

Emergency thermal blankets work well. They are lightweight, thin, easy to shape and cut if needed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chooch

Didn't someone here have a wrap that looked like mylar or something? Like a relatively thin shiny surfaced insulated mat that was fitted around the smoker?

Do the welder blankets insulate well or do they just not burn? I'm a neat freak by nature and was looking for something that I could make or wrap around the entire box with a cutout for the door. The only one I found online fits the smaller box.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: chooch on November 10, 2010, 05:03:38 AM
I'm a neat freak by nature and was looking for something that I could make or wrap around the entire box with a cutout for the door.

I use a garage.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Didn't someone here have a wrap that looked like mylar or something? Like a relatively thin shiny surfaced insulated mat that was fitted around the smoker?

Do the welder blankets insulate well or do they just not burn? I'm a neat freak by nature and was looking for something that I could make or wrap around the entire box with a cutout for the door. The only one I found online fits the smaller box.

Sounds like you are talking about an emergency thermal blanket. Do a search and check them out. When you do wrap the smoker don't forget that the vents in the generator need to be clear, as well as the smoke vent.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 10, 2010, 11:35:26 AM
I'm a neat freak by nature and was looking for something that I could make or wrap around the entire box with a cutout for the door.

I use a garage.

I use southeast Texas au natural.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

chooch

The Emergency blanket looks more like what I was lookin for. If I could find something with a bit of insulating material between the mylar layers I'd be good to go, otherwise this will do for a few times this year.

I still have a choice for retirement, Texas or somewhere up north like Wisconsin. I'd love the year round temps of Texas but I'm one of those folks that believes in global warming :)

porterdriver

The problem in our part of the country (Southeast Texas) is that during the summer months (read, April thru October) we're searching out ways to cool the smoker!

hal4uk

Quote from: Up In Smoke on November 06, 2010, 03:50:43 PM
I have seen a welder blanket used on the treager (squirtthecat) if i remember correctly.
i am considering this for the Stump's if necessary. It is a great idea.
It ain't necessary.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: porterdriver on November 15, 2010, 11:24:30 AM
The problem in our part of the country (Southeast Texas) is that during the summer months (read, April thru October) we're searching out ways to cool the smoker!

Yep, and the Bradley too!  The best way I found to cool a Bradley in summer is to put more meat in it.  Best way to cool the smoker is to drink another beer and seek shade.   ;)
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here