Would you buy a New more Powerful Smoke Chamber if Bradley offered one?

Started by smoker pete, November 06, 2010, 07:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Searched but couldn't find any references to why Bradley hasn't offered a new product line that has a more powerful heating element(s) and less ambient conditions affected smokers.

There are so many postings concerning smokers not reaching higher temps, recovery time, modifications using 2 elements or 900 watt element, ambient conditions affecting the performance, etc.  I could go on but most have seen and/or posted/responded to queries concerning temperature issues.

I would think that a new more robust line of products from Bradley which address the issues we see every day would open up a whole new market to an existing and new customer base.  I for one would love to see a more powerful smoking chamber with a circulation fan where I could utilize my Auber PID for the temp controls and my existing Smoke Generator.  I could reserve my OBS for Cold Smoking.

What do you think?  Would there be a new and improved smoking chamber in your future?

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

BuyLowSellHigh

At 500 watts the six rack is weak as a cooker.  Great smoker, but for cooking over 200 °F, it's underpowered.  That's a lot of volume to try to keep hot with 500 watts.  Needs to be 1000 watts, which with the SG would still fit with 120 VAC use .  Common hair driers run about 1200 watts.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Smoking Rebel

I do agree with the heating element but I would prefer the fan to be on a separate switch so that I could turn it off while smoking meats. The fan maybe for doing jerky and such.

RAF128

I already have and OBS and a 6 rack.   If I bring another, well it would make for some interesting conversations around the house.

Quarlow

I am happy with mine but that said I will be adding a second element and a fan. These smokers do a great job as they were intended. But we all seem to want them to do what they weren't designed to do. If you use it the way it was meant to be it will do everything just fine. But I stick mine on the sundeck table which has no protection from the wind or cold and it is not meant to be used like that. If I could put it down by my garage it would be out of the wind and most of the cold and would work perfectly, but then I would have to run up and down the stairs all day and I am not willing to do that. You look at the guys who have theirs in their garage. Out of the wind and cold, they don't need a heated garage just protection from the wind mostly and they are very happy. They probably will tell you they don't need the second element which they likely installed before they moved it inside, and then still moved it in anyways.
To answer your question honestly, yes if I had not bought my OBS and there was an option to get one with a bigger element I would go for the bigger element. But there isn't and I am happy with what I have. It's like I told Baby hewi on a post yesterday. You just need to get use to the "low and slow" concept. If this doesn't work for you then you need to build a better mouse trap. Some of the guys got a foodproofer and put a oven element in it then add a bradley smoke generator, did some venting and wiring and TaDa. You have the ultimate smoker. And it is taller so when you do long strings of sausage they can hang properly. It is big so you won't want to keep it on the back deck, it is ugly so you won't want your friends to see it, it would be on wheels so you can roll it outside when you want to use it, it is to big to put a roof over so it will get rained on when a sudden storm rolls in, but you will make jerky in an hour if you watch it closely otherwise you will have meat ash. Pork butts will be done in 8 hours but where are the bragging rights to the longest butt smoke there. Ok that one was a stretch.  :D :D :D I think you get the point I am trying to make. A good way to look at it is if you bought a 4x4 to get through some muddy roads and to make it home when it was snowing. You aren't going to compete in a monster truck race with it, and if the mud holes get to big you will have to put in a lift kit and bigger tires. I read what I wrote and it sounds a bit mean, but I am not trying to be. I am just trying to get the point of prospective across. Please don't take it the wrong way. Just trying to help and add my 2 cents. Of course I am in Canada so it would be 2.023 cents.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Up In Smoke

Quarlow,
that was well put. There are certain tools for certain jobs.
I have 2 of the Bradley OBS, i use them for smoking cheese, pastrami, canadian bacon and other items i need complete temp control for.
I recently purchased a larger smoker for larger cooks, such as multiple butts, or lots of racks of ribs and things like that.
I guess what i am saying in a roundabout way is.........This is a perfect excuse for more toyools!  ;)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

smoker pete

I agree Quarlow with many of your 2.023¢.  I relish the "low and slow" concept when it works like it should.  i.e. preheat the OBS, insert meat, OBS temp recovers in timely fashion, smoke/cook meat, pull meat at appropriate IT, FTC/tent, and enjoy a scrumptious meal!  :D :)  Add a few toys tools like a PID, wireless temp meter, etc to simplify the smoke.  Isn't this why we own the Bradley?  It's why I chose it and let me say that I am glad I did!

How many post have we read, are reading, and will read about OBS/DBS chambers that have temperature/heating/recovery issues?  Just in the last day or two it has been pointed out a few times that my Wife's hair dryer has a 1,500 watt heating element while my OBS has a 500 watt element?  Maybe I should drill a hole in the back of my OBS and mount her hair dryer controlled by my PID  ;D ;D

Not trying to make light of the issue cause I for one am one of those that has been looking to modify my OBS with a second heating element or a 900 watt element like others have done and I live in Central California where it only gets down to the 50s in the winter.

I was just curious to see if there would be an interest in an upgraded smoking chamber and so far out of 115 views, 25 members have voted and 88% of those said they would buy one or would think about buying one.  Meanwhile I continue to love my OBS  ;) :)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

_Bear_

I would have bought one, and I am actually going with a 900 watt element because I am nuts and still use my smoker at -25*  ;D. It is very well sheltered from the wind but last year, trying to smoke a beef roast I could not get the cabnet temp above 170*. It worked, but it took a very long time. I would like to see it maintain 220* @ -25*
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

while two 500 watt elements offer a way that you  could choose 500 watt or a 1000 watt if two pids  are used and set up with a 5 degree temp difference you would only  use the full 1000 watt when needed,

the 900 watt is  either on or off depending on  weather the pid is on or off

Beef

Quarlow

This sort like the cabinets themselves. I would love nothing more than to have a 6 rack non digital. I asked Brian about it and it doesn't sound like that will happen. So the Bradley's are what they are and they do everything I want them to do compared to my UPS (ugly plywood smoker) which was slow, need constant attention and was prone to spontaneous combustion.  ;D  I know there is nothing better than the Bradley in this price range and even those that are more expensive don't come come close to the smoke generator of the Bradley. Sure some self feed pellets and those that have them think they are great but I don't want to mess with big bags of pellets or have to buy pallets full to get a good deal. When I move to a boat I won't have that kind of space so the little pucks work great for me.
I just work with it as it is for now. When I mod it, it will be better for what I need it to do like a monster truck over a Suzuki sidekick.
I think that some expectations are higher than the design was meant for and I say this with no intention of insulting anyone, I am just trying to help, not offend. If I have offended anyone it was intentional and I apologize.  
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Quote from: beefmann on November 07, 2010, 05:03:48 PM
while two 500 watt elements offer a way that you  could choose 500 watt or a 1000 watt if two pids  are used and set up with a 5 degree temp difference you would only  use the full 1000 watt when needed,

Beef
I plan to go the simple route. The second element will just be on a switch which I will operate myself. I only need it on to recover temps so once it has recovered it shouldn't need to be on. Yup I will have to switch it off manually but that is where the maverick remote will come in. Once it tells me things are up to temp, a quick flip of the switch and I am done.

OBS
BBQ

_Bear_

Quote from: GusRobin on November 07, 2010, 04:56:34 PM
Bear - why the 900 and not the 2nd element?

I thought the 900 watt would be plug and play. Wiring and me do not get along.
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

GusRobin

Quote from: beefmann on November 07, 2010, 05:03:48 PM

Beef

Not sure what you mean. i have the 2 elements with the on/off switch for the second element. So I can either use 500 or 1000 any time I want. I don't understand the part about 2 PIDs. I have one PID. So I don't see the benefit of the 900 vs the dual element especially if I read things correctly, you also need to install a blower or fan with the 900 watt fin. What am I missing?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.