Sliced vs pulled

Started by mrmallerd, November 07, 2010, 07:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmallerd

1st post Have been lurking for a while.  Seasoned BDS & did whole chicken Tuned out great.  Can't imagine brining would make it better, however, I will try on my next bird.

Enough of my introduction & on to the current task.  11 lb butt.  Rubbed & in the fridge.   Plan on using a combination of hickory & apple for four hours.  Then finish.  Since I want to slice rather than pull, what should I take the IT to   ???     With the lower IT, how will this affect my cooking time?  Thanks in advance

Rex

TestRocket

Welcome Rex,

Someone should come along soon that can better answer your question. I just wanted to say congrats on your bird and good luck on that butt!

Smokin Soon

For a big boy like that, I would monitor the IT real close until it got to the "stall", usually about 160. I would pull when the temp climbs from that. I do hope you have a remote therm. Also due to the size, at least a 30 minute rest before slicing. I am sure other opinions will vary. Good luck!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum mrmallerd!

For slicing, I would not take the IT higher than 180F - maybe even 175F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mrmallerd

Quote from: Smokin Soon on November 07, 2010, 08:29:24 AM
I do hope you have a remote therm. Also due to the size, at least a 30 minute rest before slicing. I am sure other opinions will vary. Good luck!

I do have a remote set on 175.  I expect the monitor to awake me a couple hours before my alarm clock.  Boy has a couple basketball games this week & this should make for some quick meals.

Habanero Smoker

If you are cooking at 200°F - 210°F, you may want to take it out around 160°F - 165°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Quote from: mrmallerd on November 07, 2010, 12:34:43 PM
... this should make for some quick meals.

Leftover smoked pork rocks.

Some say it is better the next day.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mrmallerd

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 07, 2010, 01:37:48 PM
If you are cooking at 200°F - 210°F, you may want to take it out around 160°F - 165°F.

Everything I have read says 225 - 250 & I have it on 230.  Should I drop back to 200-210  ???

Habanero Smoker

You don't have to. The reason I made that statement is that I smoke/cook my pulled pork much differently then most. I smoke/cook at 200°F, and found that the pork will easily pulled at 175°F, and I like the texture better then going to 185°F - 210°F, which feels mushy to me. So I know if you use those lower temperatures, and you go beyond 175°F it will be more of a pulled pork texture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mrmallerd

The Pager went off about 12:30am.(IT of175) Total time in the smoker was about 12 hours.  Didnt seem to have a stall???   I pulled it & let it cool & then stuck in the fridge.  Will cut tonight & post results.  (Sorry, I don't do pictures)

mrmallerd

Cut 3\8" - 5\8" servings & cut acouple extra just to see.   Its a wonder somebody didn't loose a hand reaching for the last piece.    12 year old son looked like one of our labs goin after it.  Remainder will be made into slice pork samwiches.  Thanks to all.  Ribs & duck breast next followed by a big bird.

beefmann

if you are planning to slice it .. pull it at 160 though  not over  165  it and let stand in its own juices for  15 to 20 minutes,  if you  want  to do a pulled pork then 185 to 190

there are times i like it  sliced and other times i like it pulled