1st shot at snack sticks (Greg's Spicy Stick)

Started by Sailor, November 13, 2010, 06:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Mixed up a 5lb batch of Greg's Spicy Sticks (pensrock) last night stuffed and let stand in the fridge overnight.  Just put them in the OBS and will smoke with Hickory for 2 to or so hours.  I keep forgetting that size matters when stuffing as I got them a bit to long but I think they will work.  First time that I stuffed a 19mm casing and found that I had to put lots more pressure on the crank to get the stuff to flow.

Letting come up to room temp.

You can see that I stuff them a bit long.  Note to self ....measure the length of the hanger and OBS and stuff to length

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Looks Good Sailor I have some to smoke today as well
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

Looks good, just so you know.... I now add a little more of the hot pepper to kick them up some more. The basic recipe is meant for everyone, I like things a little more spicy. Let me know how they come out for you.  :)

Sailor

Quote from: pensrock on November 13, 2010, 06:55:08 AM
Looks good, just so you know.... I now add a little more of the hot pepper to kick them up some more. The basic recipe is meant for everyone, I like things a little more spicy. Let me know how they come out for you.  :)
Yep....I looked at my spicy Italian recipe and noted that you were a bit light on the ground red pepper so I upped it a bit to 1 Tablespoon.  I fried up the paddy I collected from the stuffer and it was pretty tasty.  The real test will be to see what my wife has to say.  She is not a big sausage fan and when she likes one of my concoctions I call that recipe "good" and don't tinker with it any more.   ;D ::)

RAF128

You've sure got an assortment of lenths there.   I see you too the v tray out to make room.   I would be concerned those sausages right over the burner would cook before the rest get done.  I guess you didn't have a choice because of the length.    Do you rotate them around in there?

pikeman_95

Looks good Sailor.
I am back from hunting and have a couple hanging in the garage. I am getting back on the stuffer so maybe you won't have to crank so hard. I will post pictures when done. At some point I might ask you for your sweet Italian recipe. I do not have a good recipe for Italian and would like to make a small batch. How many pounds did you make? It looks like you have a smoker full.

Kirby

Sailor

Quote from: RAF128 on November 13, 2010, 07:46:47 AM
You've sure got an assortment of lenths there.   I see you too the v tray out to make room.   I would be concerned those sausages right over the burner would cook before the rest get done.  I guess you didn't have a choice because of the length.    Do you rotate them around in there?
Yep had to take the V-tray out.  I have the hanger move to the front to keep it away from the element.  One length is a several inches from the puck burner.  I guess I could have tied to tie and cut the lengths to fit in a rack.  Made a note on the recipe sheet to measure the lengths to either fit hanging or to fit in a rack.  I seem to always learn from my mistakes but I think I will still be able to eat these mistakes  ;D

Sailor

Been rollin smoke for 1 1/2 hours.  The cabinet is now up to 150 and the IT is 124.  The sticks are starting to change colors as the cure is kicking in.  I expect a stall any time now.

pikeman_95

Looks good. Have you ever tried to put a fan in you smoker to help with the smoke penetration. I have a fan system in my big smoker and I also hang a couple of larger Radio Shack fans to stir the air.

Kirby

Sailor

I have not modified the smoker yet.  I know that some on the forum have added fans and extra element.  For the small batches the I am doing it seems to do a good job as is.  I am still wanting to covert a proofer and do larger batches and when I do that I will put fans in.

dAWGS

you said you expect a "stall" any minute now.  im a newbie here and trying to learn.   what do you mean by "stall"?

pensrock

Stall is when you are watching the internal temp and it sits around the same temp for a while, then it begins to rise again.

Sailor

I just wrote a long winded post about stall and said a more experienced smoker would come alone and better explain it.  And then see the Pen's did it before I could post it.  He has you covered 100%.

dAWGS