Are fajitas and brisket the same?

Started by Gordon, July 12, 2005, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Sounds dumb, but what I mean is, can you use the Bradley to make fajitas?  Do you use brisket? Would you debone the breast and cut it to make chicken fajitas?

Oh, another thing, do you peel an onion to smoke it?  Do you hot smoke it?

Thanks again!

PS - my neighbor thinks I am a genius!

MallardWacker

To me NO. I guess anything would work.

Modern Fajitas I have seen anything from skirt steak to tenderloin.  I would stay in that vinacular of meat.  I think it's a steak type thing.  But who knows what they really made them out of.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

When I make fajitas I generally use left overs (generally something that I have smoke whole, chicken, turkey, or brisket), and thinly slice the meat. Any time I have seen meat labeled as fajita meat is generally skirt or shank stake that is sliced 1/4" thick. If this is want you are planing on smoking, you should cold smoke it then grill it, or you will wind up with jerky.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Phone Guy

In restaurants the Flank steak is what makes the best fajita's. [:p]
But as stated before, you can use whatever you want!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gordon</i>
<br />Oh, another thing, do you peel an onion to smoke it?  Do you hot smoke it?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes to both IMO. You may want to re-peel it slightly after smoking if the outer layer has toughened up or dried out. A pat of butter on top when you stick them in is nice.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Gordon

Thank you all - I have ABT (first time) deviled eggs (also first) and cheddar (you guessed it, my first) on deck for this weekend.  Also gonna do some chickens on Sunday.

I figure you cold smoke the eggs, eh?  Maybe I could do them and the cheddar at the same time, don't ya know.  ABTs will be done by themselves.  I only have the Special Blend pucks - they should work ok, right?

Cold Smoke

Sure, cold smoke the eggs and cheese- make sure heat doesn't get up so much that it melts the cheese. Then kick up the heat and toss in the ABTs. The special blend pucks will do just fine.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Gordon Posted -
I figure you cold smoke the eggs, eh? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Enjoy your snacks, eh!

Cold Smoke

nsxbill

I like lean fajitas.  I use sirloin strips or if cooking for a bunch, use flank steak.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Gordon

ok - living in Mississippi cold smoking takes place late at night.  I started smoking the eggs and cheese at 10:00 pm.  I had the bottom rack loaded with as much ice as I could fit in there - and the bowl on the bottom was too.  Still the temp got up to 94-96, per the remote thermtr.  The eggs are absolutely delicous.  Next fellowship they are gonna beat a path to my door.  Cheese turned out excellent too.  My overly frugal wife had to finally admit that we may just get our moneys worth out of the Bradley.  ( I say we already have)

I used the special blend for the eggs and cheese.  While the eggs turned out well, the cheese seemed a little/tad/squench/wee too smoky for me.  Wife loved it - ate one block yesterday, took another to work today.  I would like any suggestions for bisquettes that would be less smoky.

IMHO, I don't think special blend works well for the chicken.  Especially if you use Emeril's Chicken Rub.  Not nearly enough paprika.  Still edible though.  Just tastes like I roasted a chicken.  

I am anxious to see how the ribs turned out.  I did not get to eat them, after 9 hours in the Bradley, because the Music Minister and his wife asked us to dinner after church last night.  I was going to bring the for lunch, but the wife wants me eat them for dinner so we can eat them together.  I don't know why - but I agreed anyway.  

It was a GOOD weekend.

BigSmoker

Now for me as far as the onion goes I peel it but leave the bottom in tact.  That lets the butter Chez spoke of stay inside the onion.  I also usually sprinkle a little S&P on top as well.  The S&P will melt down inside along with the butter.  I hot smoke my eggs that have been preboiled and peeled 2 hrs. max.  Finally chop 2 smoked eggs out of a dozen for some deliscious deviled eggs.  Try some pecan and apple for your chicken. I like 2 apple to 1 pecan for whole chicken.  I also like hickory for some cheese and apple and pecan for others.  You will have to find the right combo for your tastes.  Somewhere on the forum is a way to hook the smoke generator to a cardboard box and venting the smoke to the cabinet for a true cold smoke.  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

In my opiion, which can be very weak at times.  When you serve the eggs do it when you have nothing else smoked on the table.  You will enjoy much better.  It is probably one of the few foods that I would say that about.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Gordon

and you are right to say it.  

We ate some of the eggs ( I made two dozen )with the cheese and you could not tell the difference.  But by themselves, they are amazing!