smoking venison

Started by jimmyb, November 08, 2010, 04:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

A friend of mine is a hunter and got a couple of deer. He is giving me some meet to try smoking in the OBS. I have a 2 roasts, 2 lions, and ribs. I don't see much in the recipe section on smoking venison. Any recommendations? I know it's a very lean meat so I should probably wrap it in bacon or something. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Ketch22

Hi Jimmyb

Here is one to try

Venison Breakfast Sausage

7 pounds lean venison, 3 pounds pork fat,
one-third cup salt,
one half cup brown surgar,
1 1/2 tablespoons sage,
2 teaspoons pepper
and 2 teaspoons red pepper
directions:cut venison and fat into half-inch cubes mix ingredients and stir with meat
Run through sausage grinder.Make into half-inch patties and fry as need. makes 10# of sausage

I have cook it out on the grill and put on a hard roll they are real good.

mow_delon

brine the loins with one of the pastrami brines, rub with pastrami rubs and smoke whole.  Pull at about 140 F. Great way to make venison.
If you make the ribs as actual ribs, let us know how they turn out.  I have never tried deer ribs before and would be very curious to know how they turn out.

Caneyscud

Be careful with the ribs.  Not much meat or fat on them and they dry out fast.  I've never smoked any, but tried grilling some decades ago, and they did not turn out well.  We'd get the big meat off a deer carcass, then give the rest to a Mexican family down the street - and in return we get a few dozen tamales.  Good deal as far as I was concerned. 

I'm sure somebody on the forum has done venison ribs and has done them well.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Quarlow

I hope he killed those lions first.  :D :D :D sorry I couldn't let that one go by.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

jimmyb

HA! Good catch Quarlow. Never smoked a lion before. Probably tough