The Smoke God hates me, but the Soup God Loves Me

Started by Oldman, March 25, 2004, 07:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

It seems everytime I go to smoke something it starts to rain...so into the garage the smoker goes....I think the Smoke God hates me. However, I took what was left of that ham I smoked (it was not a fresh ham, but a store purchased one I smoked for 9 hours or so) and now I have the best tasting white bean soup I've ever made in my life--So I figure the Soup God Loves Me~~~go figure! LOL!!!!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Cold Smoke

What kind? Bone-in? Boneless? Previously cooked? Kind of wood? Brined? Basted? Sounds good-I've been thinking of doing a ham for a while- any info would help?

Got a turkey thawing in the fridge for this weekend's smoking session- was hoping someone else would get back to Fuzzy on his bird post.

Thanks!

Cold Smoke

Fuzzybear

Mr. Cold Smoke - you doing a buzzard this weekend too huh?

We'll have to see how things turn out and compare notes.  
I don't think one's been attempted before by our small group of 20 or so responders..............

I'm sending gramma to the store for a freshie - not frozen -

Mr. Olds - yeah, the recipie man!!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Fuzzy Dude,

<u><font color="blue"><i>TRIED</i></font id="blue"></u> to smoke one this past Christmas.  It wasn't memoriable. It came out done and dry, argued with the wife on the internal temp, she got this thing about medium rare bird. (by the way so do I) Hope you figure it out, I sure would like to try it again.  I was going to try it again on a smaller note by just doing a bone in breast.  Keep us informed.

<u><font color="red"><i><b>BUT</b></i></font id="red"></u> I am going to go down to my favorite Sams Club tonight and pick a cryovac pack of loin ribs for this Saturday.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Cold Smoke

Hey FB, yup, got me a 12 pounder- went for a fresh one- big sale at the supermarket- came home with a frozen one. No freshies left. The old "while supplies last" gimmick- bunch of @#$#%*^! I found a recipe in the Smoke and Spice book that I think I'll try for this one. I might also try a side order of ABT (atomic buffalo turds) to go with it.
I won't be able to provide pictures but I will report my experiences here early next week.

May the force be with you!

Cold Smoke

Fuzzybear

Cool!  Looking forward to your story Coldsmoke....

Mr. Duck Killer - you will get an honest story outta me (not a fish story!)

I won't be doing the S & S due to the Paprika - I'll just be using an off the shelf multi seasoning for poultry like I did with the yardbird.  

I'm hoping to get 160 in the breast - that's where I'll yank it - I will be taking pictures - this time before I eat it (hee [}:)]hee) and one after I eat it!  Cheers![:p]

Oh, pardon my ignorance but what are "ABT's"[?]

I'll probably post it over where I asked my original question about the buzzard....

Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

Fuzz,

You do know there are two kinds of paprika, right? There's the hot which is most common, but there's also sweet. It gives a nice roasted red pepper depth & a touch of sweetness, kinda like a red bell pepper, no heat.

If you're avoiding paprika, you're gonna run like hell from ABT's, although in my endorphined-rich mind they are pretty mild. Cut the top off of a jalapeno & pull out most of the stems & seeds. Stuff it with cheese & wrap with a slice of bacon. Smoke until yummy. Gotta have a special ABT tray (or Red Green Special) to hold them vertical though.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Kirk:  I've been using the sweet paprika but I'm kind of old fashioned on the basic salt/pepper seasoning thing...I'll have to try it on a yardbird before I'll commit to a a buzzard!

Ok on the ABT's - jalapeno poppers as they are known out here! need to leave some seeds in for me though!  way to mild![:D]

I'm like you, it's gotta be hot and spicy!  but, alas, I have to deal with gramma too - her guts can't take anything warmer than schilling preground to dust black pepper anymore....

Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

Fuzzy, You got to try a sweet paprika from Spain the can has DULCE on it,sweet & smoky.I did a Buzzard Breast,I injected it with a marinade of lite olive oil and FRANKS Hot Wing Sauce,salt,pepper,garlic powder on the outside.Cooked it at 200'F. till it reached 160'F.Used Alder and pecan.Whole bird has to be basted or wrapped in wet cheese cloth,either way is not good  with the BS.(DON'T OPEN THE DOOR!}Do a whole bird on a rottesirie(?) on the grill.Good Luck.

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Fuzzybear

I've done the buzzard on the rotisserie and they turned out great but I still gotta try the whole thing in the BS!!!

We just won't know till someone does it!!!

Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Chef Jeff,

Thanks for making feel better about my results doing the whole bird.  I have <s>smited</s> smoked  whole birds on other smokers with marginal sucess.  But the comment about doing the breasts is a great idea, I think you are correct.

FUZZ,

Make sure you get pictures!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Bassman

If your talking about turkey breasts you might want to check out this threadhttp://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133I have had great success with turkey breasts.[^]
There are pics at the bottom of the thread.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Cold Smoke

For those who are interested in that ABT recipe here's the link:

http://www.azbbqa.com/Recipe/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=76

I'm not sure why they call them "no meat ABT"?[?] Last time I checked bacon kinda fell into that particular food group.

Fuzz: The recipe I'm planning to use does not include paprika- thus replacing the heat with the ABTs for appetizers. The recipe does include garlic oil, beer, cayenne, sea salt. [:D] Let's give it a go and see what we can come up with.

Thanks to the others for their feedabck/suggestions.

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

Chef Jeff,

I believe this is what you are talking about.

This sounds good, I might make a batch of this with the S&S receipt,

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

Ok this is my second time to reply to this thread....yesterday it would not accept my  reply.

Doing a ham is so easy it will scare ya! The ham is not "fresh" but a bone in ready to eat. I like using the ones with low salt.

No briming no nothing other than I allow the ham to get to room temp before I smoke/cook it.

I did 1/2 of a ham. Did not wrap it in anything. Smoked it about 9 hours or so. Using Oak pucks. Heat is 180 F. and not hotter.

After it is done I allow it to cool to room temp then I wrapped it up in plastic and allowed it to chill in the refrig for 3 days before I begin the eating.

That is it. No big secret here.  Except this one. When you slice a piece off and fry it up with some eggs....well you will think you died and are now in heaven. And Sex was never better [:D]

As far as the bean soup goes it is a no brainer too. I use about 1/4 of the ham with the bone. I place it into a 5 qt pan. 7/8 full of water. I slow cook it over night.

Next day remove bone. Add water if needed to about 3/4 of a pan. Add one can crushed (15-16 ounces) tomato. Once boiling I add about 1 1/4 cups white navy beans. Add one reg. carrot chopped fine.

Generally I don't have to add any salt but I will add some white pepper.  A couple of hours or so later it is soup time!

Below is a pic of my two small mullet....what you don't see is the beer that went with them~~!

180 degrees 3-4 hours, oak pucks. Brined in (I cheat) season salt for 6 hours. I mix enough salt for the brine to be fairly salty. Rinse. Place in dish, and cover with a couple of paper towels. Leave in refrig. for two day, then smoke them~~! No big secret again!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!