Another Canadian Bacon

Started by BuyLowSellHigh, November 15, 2010, 08:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

Picked up some pork loin on my last rip to Sam's and have had a 3 lb piece waiting to do Candian Bacon via Habanero Smoker's Dry Cured Canadian Bacon recipe.

Took a 3.0 lb well trimmed piece and used the Basic Dry Cure.  I deviated a bit from HabS recipe, leaving out the garlic and onion powder, and using 1.5 Tbl of Steen's Pure Cane Syrup instead of 1 tsp dark brown sugar.  After 7 days of curing in the refrigerator, the loin got a rinse under cold running water and then soaked for 30 min's in 1 gal of ice water, then removed and quickly dried with paper towels.  Looked like this:

It dried on that rack in the refrigerator for ~18 hours, then tied with butcher's twine to help shape it up a bit. It had a good pelicle but being cold was prone to sweating and the dewpoint outside was about 50 °F, so I gave it one hour of further drying in the Bradley at 125 °F.  After the dry time temp to 145°F for 2 hours 20 minutes of apple smoke, then temp to 225 °F to finish with a target IT of 145 °F.

Unfortunately, I was "fixin' to" get squeezed on time for a family commitment, and after an hour at 225 ° I realized I wasn't going to make it, so called an audible and put the loin in the kitchen convection oven at 250 °.  Made it to an IT of 145 with 5 minutes to spare. Out of the oven with a bit of cooling

Sliced this morning

This turned out excellent.  Just the right salt and cured taste, not really sweet but well balanced, and is it ever moist.  I wrestled for about 15 minutes trying to figure what to change and I finally gave up and decided nothing.  I might experiment adding some other flavors to the cure sometime, but this was just about perfect as it was.

Thanks, HabS for the great recipe!

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Quote from: hal4uk on November 15, 2010, 08:50:40 AM
Looks fantastic!

Yes it does!

I've used coconut extract and maple extract and I enjoyed them all.

That is A+++ ....... But what else would I expect from you.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 15, 2010, 09:01:19 AM

That is A+++ ....... But what else would I expect from you.

Uh ... I won't go there if you won't.    ;)   ;D 

KyNola

Nice work BLSH.  Good looking CB.  Thanks.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SoCalBuilder

Man does that look nice. I have about 8 lbs curing right now and hope to get it in the obs on Sunday. I followed Hab's recipe except that I switched to some maple crystals on about half of it.  Can't wait :)

TestRocket

That's what I'm talking about! Very, very nice!

smoker pete

Excellent job BLSH.  The DW loves her Canadian Bacon so I need to do me one of those soonest.  If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions:

Habanero Smokers recipe places the loin into a 225º F preheated Bradley, applying Maple smoke for 1:40 to 2:00 hours, until IT reaches 140º F - 150º F.  You smoked it in steps - gave it one hour of further drying in the Bradley at 125 °F.  After the dry time temp to 145°F for 2 hours 20 minutes of apple smoke, then temp to 225 °F to finish with a target IT of 145 °F. ... Any big reason you chose to smoke it in steps?  Using Apple vs Maple - a personal preference?

HabS recipe calls for using a plastic bag and removing as much air as possible then curing is fridge for 6-7 days.  Could I use my FoodSaver for this step?

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

KyNola

Pete,
I can answer the Foodsaver part of your question.  Yes, you can.  I have done it before and thought it actually sped up the curing process by about a day.  Could have been my imagination as well.  You do have to be careful to make sure you don't suck a bunch of moisture up into your vac sealing unit when you go to seal it.

jiggerjams

Man that is some nice lookin' bacon bling right there. Nice job BLSH

smoker pete

Quote from: KyNola on November 15, 2010, 10:26:27 AM
Pete,
I can answer the Foodsaver part of your question.  Yes, you can.  I have done it before and thought it actually sped up the curing process by about a day.  Could have been my imagination as well.  You do have to be careful to make sure you don't suck a bunch of moisture up into your vac sealing unit when you go to seal it.
Thanks KyNola.  As soon as I can find Morton Tender Quick around here I'm going to get a Pork Loin and go to town.  Going to surprise SWMBO and not tell her what I'm doing with that Loin till I 'get er done ...'  ;D

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: smoker pete on November 15, 2010, 10:19:30 AM
Excellent job BLSH.  The DW loves her Canadian Bacon so I need to do me one of those soonest.  If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions:

Habanero Smokers recipe places the loin into a 225º F preheated Bradley, applying Maple smoke for 1:40 to 2:00 hours, until IT reaches 140º F - 150º F.  You smoked it in steps - gave it one hour of further drying in the Bradley at 125 °F.  After the dry time temp to 145°F for 2 hours 20 minutes of apple smoke, then temp to 225 °F to finish with a target IT of 145 °F. ... Any big reason you chose to smoke it in steps?  Using Apple vs Maple - a personal preference?

HabS recipe calls for using a plastic bag and removing as much air as possible then curing is fridge for 6-7 days.  Could I use my FoodSaver for this step?

Pete,

KyNola has you covered on the bag.  I use a 2 gal Ziplock, put the loin in the bag, sprinkle on about 1/2 of the cure, rub it in a bit, rotate the loin and do it again.  Keeps everything clean and all in the bag.

On the smoke - My own bias is to get the smoke on before the meat temp gets to 140.  At the point the cooking process produces a lot of moisture from the meat and things can get quite wet.  I try to get the smoke on before that happens.  I've had pork loins that wanted to cook faster than I liked, so for the smoking process I backed the temp down to 145.  At the end of 2 hrs 20 min of smoking I had an IT of 101 °F.  I met my objective with a lot of room to spare but left myself with more time to get the cook finished than I had.  Hence the kitchen turbo move.

I used apple because I really like apple smoke on pork.  Just a personal preference.  That bias has probably kept me from buying maple.  Use whatever you prefer.

smoker pete

Thanks BLSH.  I like your bias on the smoking process and will use it for my first Canadian Bacon.  The PID will make it easy to make the steps.  To date, I have used Apple more than other bisquettes so I may go with that also.

SouthernSmoked

Dang Eric, that is nice!

Will be trying this in the near future!

Thanks
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment