SMOKE and Stuff Circulation Fan kit - installation doc

Started by squirtthecat, November 15, 2010, 06:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I had to split it in half due to the size, but here they are.  (downloads are the older MS Word format)

Part 1
Part 2

If anyone has trouble with the links, let me know and we can fix as necessary..

[edit]

Toker just sent this pic to me showing the correct fan placement..

Toker

I took this picture here on the forum, i think it is from Mike Mr Walleye.

BigJohnT

Scott has some new instructions in pdf format and as soon as he gets back from hunting he will add a link to them on the fan kit page.

John

porterdriver

I just finished installing the fan kit but I have questions about the fan blade orientation. 

It would seem to me (and I'm not confused by any facts) that you would want the fan blades mounted outside the cabinet to pull the heated air away from the outside of the back of the cabinet. 

Similarly it would seem to me that you would want the fan blades mounted inside the cabinet to pull the air/smoke away from the inside of the back of the cabinet out into the main cabinet area.

So the two blade assemblies should mount opposite each other.  Am I missing something or having a senior moment?

Toker

No you are SAFE on your thoughts. Look the picture of the 2 blades One is written CORRECT and the other written WRONG, The correct one is the fan blade inside the tower and the WRONG is the one that should be mount outside the tower to cool everything. Note the blade sense difference.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: porterdriver on December 06, 2010, 05:44:58 PM
I just finished installing the fan kit but I have questions about the fan blade orientation. 

It would seem to me (and I'm not confused by any facts) that you would want the fan blades mounted outside the cabinet to pull the heated air away from the outside of the back of the cabinet. 

Similarly it would seem to me that you would want the fan blades mounted inside the cabinet to pull the air/smoke away from the inside of the back of the cabinet out into the main cabinet area.

So the two blade assemblies should mount opposite each other.  Am I missing something or having a senior moment?

On the fan inside the cabinet, I agree -- the desired direction is that it blow from the back toward the door.  The reality is the flow is out at about a 45° angle.

On the fan outside, I don't think it really makes much difference.  The addition of that blade was to act as a heat sink for heat conduction from the cabinet interior along the shaft to the motor.  So long as the blade is on the shaft and turning when the cabinet is being heated it should do it's job of conducting heat from the shaft and dissipating it via convection.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

Quote from: porterdriver on December 06, 2010, 05:44:58 PM

That is in the instructions and is how I did mine.

Inside toward the door.

Outside away from the smoker.

But I have been known to mis-read things.

Bigun

What does this do? Eliminate hot spots, give a consistent cabinet temp. from top to bottom, and front to back?

Toker

I don't know about eliminating the hot spots cause it is caused by the smoke generator but supposed to do the rest you mentioned.