I have the night off work, it's 35° and I'm bored..

Started by Chili Head, November 16, 2010, 11:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Quote from: Chili Head on January 10, 2011, 12:53:39 AM
I taste tested the cheese from this smoke tonight..still too strong  :-\

I think it's getting close though. The end piece was like licking an ash tray or taking a swig out of a beer can that had butts in it  ::) :o The next slice was better but still too strong. I'm shooting for some time in may  :D The wait is almost more than I can bear  :'(

The end pieces are going to be stronger, they have more surface area exposed to the smoke.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mjdeez

As far as a max, I've gone a year and it was still good.

I had some yellow cheddar that developed a bit of mold. I noticed it as soon as I opened up my vac-sealed package. It had been in the fridge for 2 months packed nice and tight.

Is there anything special you do to prevent mold from growing? Mine was a green mold.

FLBentRider

Quote from: mjdeez on January 10, 2011, 06:42:20 AM

As far as a max, I've gone a year and it was still good.

I had some yellow cheddar that developed a bit of mold. I noticed it as soon as I opened up my vac-sealed package. It had been in the fridge for 2 months packed nice and tight.

Is there anything special you do to prevent mold from growing? Mine was a green mold.

I don't do anything special at all.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Sometimes they are a little moist coming out of the smoker...   Be sure to blot them dry w/ paper towels before you seal them up. 

mjdeez

Ok, thanks guys. This reminds me, I still have some smoked mozzarella in my fridge. I hope it is still good; maybe i'll put that on some smoked meat loaf.

watchdog56

As far as mold on cheese- it is a form of mold. If not to bad i cut it off and slice away. Never had a problem.

mjdeez

Oh I ate it anyway... I felt a little weird cutting it away and serving it to my guests, but hey, what are in-laws for?

bears fan

I always say, mold on cheese just gives it a new name. ;D
Cut it off and eat away if it's not to bad.