Pork Loin recipies

Started by _Bear_, November 17, 2010, 02:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

OK, I was at Costco yesterday and I saw this hunk of pork and I just had to have it. This  thing is longer than my ................. arm  ;D. Want to smoke it of course, anyone have any good  recipies?? I  bought some Maple syrup as well thinking I may be able to incorporate that into the smoking somehow. Oh ya, I bought a new vacuum sealer to, had to get a shot of that in the background  ;D

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

FLBentRider

I would put some rub on it - Jans or salt lick, and smoke it to an IT of 145F

Maple syrup.... Hmmm... maybe find a rub that has a brown sugar base, sub the syrup for the brown sugar, make a paste - slather it on.

I would worry about the syrup getting runny when it heats up and making a mess in the smoker.

Maybe you could heat the syrup on the stove for a while to try to drive out some more of the water.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

_Bear_

I was thinking about something like that, but then I got reading about Maple Canadian Bacon over on the recipie site. And I also remembered that I had bought some Bradley Maple cure a year ago on sale and just threw it in the back of the "smoker stuff box".  So I think I am going to cure it

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?319-MAPLE-CANADIAN-BACON

So on the back of the Bradley cure, it says to use 3 tblspoons of cure for 5 lbs of meat. This loin weighs 4.63 kg or 10.2 lbs. So I figure 6.25 tblspoons of cure should do it.

So what does everyone think, should I try it or will I end up poisioning myself?
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

SoCalBuilder

Bear - I bought a loin at Costco last weekend and hope to have 9 lbs of Canadian bacon this weekend. I used Habeneros recipe of the recipe site and swapped out the brown sugar for some maple concentrate I bought from my spice dealer. Hope to post some sweet pictures this weekend.

_Bear_

How long did you let it cure for? What did you use for a cure? Can't wait for the pics  :P
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

FLBentRider

Quote from: _Bear_ on November 17, 2010, 02:51:37 PM
I was thinking about something like that, but then I got reading about Maple Canadian Bacon over on the recipie site. And I also remembered that I had bought some Bradley Maple cure a year ago on sale and just threw it in the back of the "smoker stuff box".  So I think I am going to cure it

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?319-MAPLE-CANADIAN-BACON

So on the back of the Bradley cure, it says to use 3 tblspoons of cure for 5 lbs of meat. This loin weighs 4.63 kg or 10.2 lbs. So I figure 6.25 tblspoons of cure should do it.

So what does everyone think, should I try it or will I end up poisioning myself?

As long as you cure it for the amount of time specified on the maple cure package, you should be safe.

I dived into curing with a pork loin - Canadian bacon a while back - it's not rocket science, just follow the directions from ONE recipe (no combining) and you should be safe and delicious.

Cure is not like rub - more is not better. Weigh your sections and apply the appropriate amount of cure.

Overhaul - turn them over - daily. try to keep as much of the cure/spices/liquid in contact with the meat - get as much air out as possible, or vac seal.

DON'T pour off any liquid generated unless the recipe states so.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: _Bear_ on November 17, 2010, 03:03:26 PM
How long did you let it cure for? What did you use for a cure? Can't wait for the pics  :P
It will have cured for about six days. Cut into five sections and have been turning it every day.

BuyLowSellHigh

It will probably be easier to handle if you cut it into half or thirds.  That way you can experiment with different recipes, rubs, cures,  and you can fit the smaller pieces into 2 or 2.5 gal zip top bags for curing.  Plus they'll fit on your Bradley racks too.  Just makes life easier and opens up possibilities for experimenting.

Here's a version of Canadian Bacon I did last weekend, with one piece of a loin like yours that I cut into thirds.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

_Bear_

I will probably cut it into 3 pieces. It does not say anything on the package about curing time, just "3 tablespoons for 5 lbs of meat (2 in/5cm thick)"

Has anyone ever used this Bradley Maple Cure??
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

hal4uk

Where do you guys get these giant ziplock bags? 
I looked at Wally World today, and they don't have them (someone said they did?)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Up In Smoke

Quote from: hal4uk on November 17, 2010, 04:35:16 PM
Where do you guys get these giant ziplock bags? 
I looked at Wally World today, and they don't have them (someone said they did?)
They are a 2 gallon ziplock bag, some wal-marts will have them but they are kinda $$$$
if you cannot find any send me a pm.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

BuyLowSellHigh

I get 2 gal Ziplock at Wally World; 2.5 gal Hefty zipper bags at Kroger.

If they don't have 'em in your area let me know and I'll send you a care package.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

Bear,
Weigh your pieces of pork loin carefully and adjust your cure accordingly.  I have not used the Bradley Cures but the weight of the meat dictates the amount of cure.  As for the time to cure, I would go 6 days.

_Bear_

Quote from: KyNola on November 17, 2010, 06:53:40 PM
Bear,
Weigh your pieces of pork loin carefully and adjust your cure accordingly.  I have not used the Bradley Cures but the weight of the meat dictates the amount of cure.  As for the time to cure, I would go 6 days.

Thanks, I am off to buy a kitchen scale tomorrow.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

classicrockgriller

Bear ....... ask your Sister, she's probably already done some Canadian Bacon. ;D

Looking forward to the pics!

You can't hurt it ............. it's dead!