Venison Burgers

Started by AlamanceNC, November 18, 2010, 08:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlamanceNC

Has anyone ever tried to smoke venison burgers on the grill? I've a deer to pick up from the processor in a few and was wondering if I could just patty up some of the burger and place on the smoker for something to munch on this evening. Any tips? Ideas? The burger does have 15% beef fat ground into it. Not sure if it's possible or safe but I'd sure like to try it.

KevinG

As long as you keep the temp above 200° F you should be alright, then maybe transfer to a grill unless you just want to toss some wood chips on the grill while cooking.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

AlamanceNC

squirtthecat

Yup, that should work.

I've done lean Buffalo burgers in my Traeger at 225°, and they came out nice.   Just takes a while compared to incinerating them on a gasser.   I went by touch, but you can use a temperature probe to make sure they are cooked.

Maybe mixed in some chopped onion and Lea & Perrins when you form the patties, to lock a little extra moisture inside.

AlamanceNC

So let's see if I got this right here......
225* (roughly) for the smoker temp.
Pattie 'em up like I would normally for grilling.
Any rough estimate on how long this may take? I'm heading out in a few to pick up the deer and I'm stopping by the grocery store for some pepperjack cheese and buns. Think I'll lay a few slices of cheese over 'em for the last few minutes of the cook. I just hope I don't end up eating burgers at midnight on a school night. LOL This won't be a happy house if I do.  ;D

KevinG

That's why I'd toss them on the grill after smoking. It'd be quicker, but you can do either. It will definately take longer if you just use the smoker. Just not sure how much longer.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

AlamanceNC

I could be wrong but I'm assuming that ground meat will not take nearly as long to reach IT when compared to bone in whole muscle meat. What the hay.....let's try it. If it takes too long that's what they make Campbell's soup for.  ;)

squirtthecat

Depending on how thick, at least 90 minutes, I would guess...   Check them after an hour:15 and see how they feel.

Toss them on the grill if you hear the can opener running...   ;D

AlamanceNC

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 18, 2010, 08:23:54 AM

Depending on how thick, at least 90 minutes, I would guess...   Check them after an hour:15 and see how they feel.

Toss them on the grill if you hear the can opener running...   ;D
Good point. They are no thawing out and will be ready to mix around 3ish.....Going on the smoker around 4ish......I can finish them up on the grill as you guys suggested so I'm not too worried about eating at midnight. I've got some tenderloin from the deer marinating now. I'll cut them nice and thin than batter and fry real quick for an appetizer. Gonna toss some pepperjack cheese over the burgers during the last few minutes of cooking.

OU812

Quote from: AlamanceNC on November 18, 2010, 09:51:09 AM

I've got some tenderloin from the deer marinating now. I'll cut them nice and thin than batter and fry real quick for an appetizer. 

Now that sounds delish.

I still have some of the smaller ends of the loins thawed that I butterflied and put in the freezer Tue. night

Just might have to do up some tonight, thanks for the reminder.

Ketch22

Hi
Here is a recipe I have made for Venison Breakfast Sausage

7 pounds lean venison, 3 pounds pork fat,
one-third cup salt,
one half cup brown surgar,
1 1/2 tablespoons sage,
2 teaspoons pepper
and 2 teaspoons red pepper
directions:cut venison and fat into half-inch cubes mix ingredients and stir with meat
Run through sausage grinder.Make into half-inch patties and fry as need. makes 10# of sausage

I have cook it out on the grill and put on a hard roll they are real good.

You can try this one to if you like Breakfast Sausage they work real will on the grill  
Ketch

AlamanceNC

It's hard to beat a little tenderloin or sweet meat cut thinly, breaded and fried. I cut them into little pieces almost like the size of a scallop but much thinner. Salt, pepper, a little garlic. Marinate in worchestsire sauce. Lightly bread them and fry 'em hot and fast. They are awesome dipped in Scotts vinegar based sauce and a cold beer.

AlamanceNC

Won't be long now. Got 6 made up well actually 7 but I did one on the stove for myself. ;)

AlamanceNC

30-35 mins of Alder smoke. IT is now 110*.....I'm figuring 2 hours or so on the cooktime.

TMB

Here is a burger I made for a wild game competition

Live, ride, eat well and thank God!