Reheating Turkey Breast

Started by smoker pete, November 18, 2010, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Been asked by my Daughter-in-Law to smoke 2 bone-in Turkey Breasts for Thanksgiving.  Her Dad will be deep frying 2 turkeys.  There will be around 20+ adults/kids.  The Thanksgiving Feast will be server around noon so I need to smoke the breasts the day before.

Personally I love hot or cold smoked turkey but she would prefer the smoked turkey to be warm when served.  Any ideas on how I can slice up the breasts and then reheat them prior to serving?  I want to make sure that the smoked turkey won't dry out in the drying process.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

SoCalBuilder

Pete - No authority, but I noticed that a lot of people around here put sliced meat into a slow cooker to re-heat it. Makes a lot of sense with the cover and all. I suppose a little chicken stock wouldn't harm anything.

More answers to come, I'm sure.

Habanero Smoker

I would debone the meat, and place the boneless breast in a roasting pan with a flat rack. Add some chicken stock, herbs and/or other flavoring, seal tightly with foil and reheat at 350°F. The recommended temperature to bring reheated food to is 165°F. What ever temperature you decide on, about 10 - 15 degrees from the finish temperature, I would remove the foil, bush with olive oil or melted butter and crisp the skin a little.

Here is a nice article I often refer to:
How to Reheat Food

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokin Soon

When I take smoked turkey breast to work, I use a 18 qt electric roaster. Becomes a steamer with chicken stock in the pan and the turkey in the roasting rack. Works well with briskit or corned beef also. Not to expensive, I got mine at a closeout store for $40.

smoker pete

Thanks guys.  I do have an 18 qt electric roaster and will use that with chicken stock, herbs, etc. at 350º.  Read the article on 'How to Reheat Food' and since I don't know what my Daughter-in-Law will be using her oven for I'll forgo flash heating in a 425º to 475º degree oven, anywhere from 2-10 minutes.

Habanero Smoker

The flash heating is for thinner cuts of meat, and would not work well with turkey breast.

After rereading my last post, I should clarify that when you debone the breast, I meant you should keep the breast meat in two halves, and slice it after you have reheated.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoker pete

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 19, 2010, 12:55:15 PM
The flash heating is for thinner cuts of meat, and would not work well with turkey breast.

After rereading my last post, I should clarify that when you debone the breast, I meant you should keep the breast meat in two halves, and slice it after you have reheated.

Thanks for the clarification HabS cause I was going to slice the breasts before reheating.  I'll wait now till they've been reheated.