injected not brine

Started by lonuff, November 18, 2010, 05:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonuff

has any one injected a whole turkey and smoked it without brining it? i was planning to inject with turkey gold from cabelas ( good stuff) if you havent tried it. i would like to know if it would be a good idea and  the same smoke time  ( 6-8 hours ) as a brined birb? wife not sure on the salt factor in the brine. we dont cook with salt at all and we dont know if we would like it or not. any words of wisdom would help alot thanks in advanced..

squirtthecat

I'd say you'd be fine doing that.   In fact, I plan on doing something similar.  I picked up a 11 pounder yesterday that is 'enhanced for tenderness' (pumped with salty goo), so I'm just going to brine in some low sodium vegatable stock and maybe some other herbs/etc.  (mainly just to bathe overnight to help it finish thawing).

I'll inject mine with some Creole Butter.

lonuff

how long did you smoke it for? i think im just gonna inject and smoke it to see how it turns out. thanks for the help..

squirtthecat

Quote from: lonuff on November 18, 2010, 01:45:59 PM
how long did you smoke it for? i think im just gonna inject and smoke it to see how it turns out. thanks for the help..

I haven't done mine yet.  Going on one of my pellet smokers Saturday morning..

DTAggie

I have injected a turkey with the Creole Butter and smoked in my Brinkman bullet/silo smoker.  Was awesome.