Brisket for breakfast; oh my!

Started by Ka Honu, November 19, 2010, 07:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

It's 5 AM and I don't get brisket for another few hours so here's my story...

I finally got around to thawing one of the cryovac packers in my freezer and decided to go back to basics.  Trimmed some of the fat, sprinkled on some Char Broil Pinch of Sizzle* Beef Brisket Rub...

...and threw it on the next to the bottom shelf in my OBS at about 1:30 PM.  Weight after trimming was about 13 pounds.  Had to use the "Bradley hump" to get it on the tray but that's what I get for not having one of those huge pellet poopers like some of the brethren (and sistren).  Put the trimmed fat in the tray immediately above (for "dripping") and some salt on coffee filters on the top shelf (don't like wasting the space and people keep asking for the salt).  

Four hours of mesquite (which I don't use often but it's brisket, for God's sake, and is only smoked cow without mesquite).  Tried with varying degrees of success to keep the box between 200° and 225° (Hey, this is brisket - a manly man's game - none of those namby-pamby PID thingies for this cheap cowboy!).  All this was complicated by the fact that think I need a new motor in my smoke generator and had to slap the thing every 20 minutes to get the bisquettes to advance (Talk to you soon, Brian).

After the smoke cleared (about 6PM), I took out the salt, and refilled the water pan (which really didn't need too much).  

First overnighter in a long while and SWMBO was sure I was trying to burn down the house so I wouldn't have to remodel the kitchen after the holidays.  At 10 PM, water pan was set for the night, box was about 205° and IT at 165°.

Thunderstorm woke me up about 2 AM.  I braved the wet and wintry 72° nighttime temp (remember the "manly man" thing?) to check - box still at 205° and IT at 167°.  Life is good.  

At my usual 4:30 rising the box is at 225° and IT at 195°.  How'd that happen?  Fifteen hours and done?  I thought I had till 8 or 9 AM - perfect for FTC before lunch.  Guess I'll have to start at breakfast.  Darn!

Looks good and the tiny piece of bark I "trimmed" tasted great but the proof will be in the slicing.

... to be continued...

*  I've just started using some of Char Broil's Pinch of Sizzle line of sauces and seasonings and am pretty impressed so far.  I highly recommend the Memphis Rub, All-Purpose Rub, and now the Beef Brisket Rub.  Tommy and some of the others on the Char Broil Forum have used the others and I haven't heard a bad review yet.

SoCalBuilder

Boy that looks tasty. Thanks for the reccomendations on the rub. I've only made one brisket and my bride says I can do another anytime I get a hankerin'. I'm startin' to hanker ;D ;D

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

Now that's a thing of beauty !  And perfect timing for breakfast.

BTW, I hope it's heifer and not cow    ;)
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SnellySmokesEm

Nice brisket Paul, I would eat that for breakfast!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

KyNola

Dang Ka Honu, that looks great!  Making me hungry.

classicrockgriller

I know pics can be confussing sometimes, but it looks like

you didn't have a massive amount of shrinkage.

Was it a choice or better?

What ever it was, it looks Dang Nice!

Slice that Bad Boy so we can really have a stomach Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Ka Honu

Alrighty then.  Everything put away, racks and V shield soaking, SWMBO off to work so she can't make that "You're having barbecue for breakfast?" face - time for the "money shot."

And yes, CRG, it was Choice (which would explain the faster cooking, too). At what I paid ($1.26/pound), I didn't even think to look.

Caneyscud

And all I had for breakfast was scrambled eggs (caneyized) and some sausage links.  I feel deprived - downright deprived.

"Four hours of mesquite (which I don't use often but it's brisket, for God's sake, and is only smoked cow without mesquite).  Tried with varying degrees of success to keep the box between 200° and 225° (Hey, this is brisket - a manly man's game - none of those namby-pamby PID thingies for this cheap cowboy!).  "   Pretty well said for someone in a grass skirt.

Made me want to drive to see ya Ka Honu.  Got on google maps only 5223 miles from Nashville - 15 days 21 hours going the scenic route.  The 2756 mile kayak paddle from Seattle to Kuilima Cove might be the tough part!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ka Honu

Quote from: Caneyscud on November 20, 2010, 07:05:05 AMPretty well said for someone in a grass skirt.

Mahalo, brah (Thank you, brother).  To misquote Jimmy Buffett, "I got a South Pacific soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart."  Also please note that Hawaii has a strong cowboy (paniolo) tradition started by Mexican vaqueros brought here on contract in the 1830s.

Quote from: Caneyscud on November 20, 2010, 07:05:05 AM...The 2756 mile kayak paddle from Seattle to Kuilima Cove might be the tough part!

I saw that on Google maps a few months ago - too funny.  I think it's a little weird, though, that no matter where on the mainland I want to go I have to paddle from Oahu's north shore to Seattle.

classicrockgriller

$1.26 for a "Choice" Brisket is a steal!

In fact $1.26 for any brisket is a deal.

Great Brisket!