Cheese questions

Started by adeplonty, November 19, 2010, 04:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adeplonty

I smoked some cheese about 3 weeks ago.  When I opened some of it up to sample it tonight, I noticed that it had an oily feel to it.  Can anyone tell me what causes this?  Also, I notice a lot of people here package the pieces individually.  Is there any reason for this?

FLBentRider

If the cheese warm some oil may come to the surface. I just wipe it off.

I package individually so I can ration it out.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

I usually just wipe it off also, and as far as packaging, it is so i can hide enough for myself.  :)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

pensrock

Normally if I see oil on the surface while smoking, its too hot in the smoker. Also if wrapped up before completely cool you may get moisture. Either case wipe it off and its good to eat. If you get it really hot and lose too much oil than it may taste dry and crumbly.

wetzel1977

Just like pensrock said  try to keep your temp low i mean under 90 degrees or so also i rotate my racks because i do 10 lbs at a time. After smoking i let my cheese rest for a bit make sure that you wipe it off before vacing it up. I let mine sit aleast 14 -21 days after sealing it up if i can hold out that long !! always have great results !!
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

adeplonty

The highest the temp got when I smoked it was 88o.  Could I have have not let it rest long enough before packaging?

pensrock

88 is fine, I do most of my cheese smokes between 85-95, unless I'm doing velvetta.  :) Let it come down to room temp before wrapping. Also it is important to check the temp near the cheese.

chandlersmoking

I smoked cheese for the first time using hickory for about an hour.  Sliced a chunk and ate it right after smoking.  I didnt realize you had to wait 4-6 weeks until reading all these posSo you are saying wrap it up and let it sit for a few weeks.  Ill try apple next

pensrock

I use apple/oak/hickory for most of the cheeses I smoke. Wrap it in plastic wrap and put into a zip bag for a couple weeks, then try it out.

chandlersmoking

Oysterhog

I found that after removing from the vaccum pack, or wrapping, if you place it into a zip lock, the smoke flavor develops better. When I remove mine, it wasn't smokey at all, then a day later it was wonderful.