Hot smoked fish -- keeping it safe.

Started by Smokeville, November 21, 2010, 12:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Hi SamuelG;

I don't think so. If it was oxygen permeable it wouldn't work for a vacuum bag.

Anybody else?

Rich

BuyLowSellHigh

Rich is spot on.  You can't keep a vacuum in permeable semi-permeable packaging.  Vacuum can be used to initially draw the air out of the package, but over time (hours) it will relax.

The goal of those kinds of materials is to prevent anaerobic conditions within the package, while at the same time preventing gross contact contamination.

Generally, those materials are not available as consumer wraps, etc.  However, there are some specialty bags that are made from semi-permeable materials.  One example is the dry aging bags sold by Drybag Steaks.  With those vacuum is used to get the bag to adhere to the meat surface.  Over about a day the vacuum will relax, which is desired to prevent anaerobic conditions within the bag.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Kummok

Just a minor point but if you're using farmed salmon, none of these safety recommendations apply....that stuff will eventually kill you anyway!!  ;) ;) ;D

Smokeville

Quote from: Kummok on December 14, 2010, 07:04:00 PM
Just a minor point but if you're using farmed salmon, none of these safety recommendations apply....that stuff will eventually kill you anyway!!  ;) ;) ;D

Since until 2 months ago I thought I was still allergic to salmon after 35 years and have since eaten several hundred pounds of it which was almost all Atlantic then I am already dead but very happy...

Just don't tell my wife.....

Kummok

Quote from: Smokeville on December 14, 2010, 09:22:30 PM
Quote from: Kummok on December 14, 2010, 07:04:00 PM
Just a minor point but if you're using farmed salmon, none of these safety recommendations apply....that stuff will eventually kill you anyway!!  ;) ;) ;D

Since until 2 months ago I thought I was still allergic to salmon after 35 years and have since eaten several hundred pounds of it which was almost all Atlantic then I am already dead but very happy...

Just don't tell my wife.....

Well, the good news is that you made it to heaven!!

SamuelG

Thanks Smokeville and BLSH,

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG