Maple Canadian Bacon

Started by _Bear_, November 21, 2010, 02:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

Or Back Bacon as we prefer to call it. So I applied Bradly's Maple cure to this pork loin 3 days ago after trimming the fat cap off of this loin. Average amount of cure was 21g/ piece of loin (3 tbsp/5 lbs of meat, or 9g/lb or 0.56g/oz of meat) and sealed them in bags and then into my fridge @38* for 3 days.

So 3 days later, I Have Maple syrup from Canadian Super Store that I bought, it is good syrup, but not great, I put 3 cups into a  pot and  boil it for 3/4hr. Boiled off over 1/2 cup of syrup (water), flavor improved exponentially (it was awesome). Put the pot in ice water in the sink and let it cool down until the syrup was @ 38*f, spit it between the 4 bags of soon to be back bacon  8), removed as much air as possable, massaged the syrup into the meat, then back in the fridge for the next 9 days, masaging the juices into the meat and turning them daily. Then it is time for the smoke to roll.

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

classicrockgriller

9 more days?

Dang I hate these mini series. ;D

Will be watching Bear!

_Bear_

the recipe is for 21 days  :o, I kind of split the difference. By the time all is said and done I should have the fixinns for some awsome back bacon and smoked cheddar cheese sandwiches.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

duchunter

Bear can you post the recipe? I just got done curing and smoking Bacon that turned out great! Canadian Bacon sounds great also
Thanks
duc

_Bear_

Quote from: duchunter on November 23, 2010, 09:18:13 AM
Bear can you post the recipe? I just got done curing and smoking Bacon that turned out great! Canadian Bacon sounds great also
Thanks
duc

Here is the recipe I am following. The only difference is I am using Bradley Maple Cure and I am not curing for 21 days, just 12 days.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?319-MAPLE-CANADIAN-BACON
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

smokeNcanuck

I started some of Hab's Canadian bacon yesterday, love this stuff. 
How much maple flavor is in the end product(if you have made it before)?
I was thinking of adding some maple syrup to mine in a few days.  Will be interested in you results.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

duchunter

Thanks Bear, I am going to give this a try!!

Quote from: _Bear_ on November 23, 2010, 09:49:37 AM
Quote from: duchunter on November 23, 2010, 09:18:13 AM
Thanks
duc

Here is the recipe I am following. The only difference is I am using Bradley Maple Cure and I am not curing for 21 days, just 12 days.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?319-MAPLE-CANADIAN-BACON

_Bear_

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on November 23, 2010, 06:32:26 PM
I started some of Hab's Canadian bacon yesterday, love this stuff. 
How much maple flavor is in the end product(if you have made it before)?
I was thinking of adding some maple syrup to mine in a few days.  Will be interested in you results.
I have no idea how much flavor is transfered, this is my 1st kick at this. I just gave them a quick masage and turned them (kind of sounds kinky lol) It's not making any fluid, but the fluid is getting thinner. Next Tuesday night we will find out how this worked, from everything I have heard, it should turn out great.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

After 3 days of cure, then bathed in maple syrup for  9 days. It drew a lot of fluid out of the meat, and the fluid was very thin.

After soaking in cold water for 2 hrs and the rinsing several times. Patted dry, then rubbed down in maple syurp and rested for 1 hr

After 4.5 hrs in the smoker, 45 min @ 150* no smoke, then 2hrs 40 min (8 pucks) maple @ 220*, then finish off at 220* to an IT of 150*.  Shut smoker off and let rest inn smoker for 1 hr

I have wraped it and put it in the fridge as it is suppose to get better with age, but I had to try it and was VERY impressed. Very nice maple flavor but not over powering, nice light smokey tast and very light on the saltyness. I will be doing this again.

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

I could not wait. Smoked Maple Canadian bacon and Apple smoked cheddar cheese samich  ;D :D ;D

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

BuyLowSellHigh

Yum!

That Canadian bacon looks top notch !

So how was the maple flavor?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

_Bear_

Very nice and mild. As I said it's  an awsome recipe from Bradlly Forums. I will definatly be making this again.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

jiggerjams

Smokin Soon

Vac Seal and freeze. I usually have 4 in the freezer for backup.

SouthernSmoked

Man Oh Man, I missed this one...

Very, Very Nice!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little