Smoke a whole goose?

Started by hunt_gather, November 22, 2010, 06:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunt_gather

I have had great success with smoking whole chickens and thought I'd try a whole goose for Thanksgiving. 

It's probably a bad idea to try something new for a big feast but I've already bought the goose so I'm locked in.  I was thinking of doing it same way I do chickens:  very simple baste of sea salt & maple syrup, smoke at 220 for a few hours, voila: tender & juicy.  This method makes heavenly chicken, but will it work w/ goose? 

Obvioulsy adjust the smoking time, but what else?  Drip tray for the fat?  X-cut the breast, as with duck?

Help needed ASAP!

Smokeville

I'm no help in giving an answer, but I am interested in finding out the answer.

I just talked with someone who has a friend with a few wild geese he would like smoked.

Rich

hunt_gather

I will post my results.

(and still would appreciate hints & helps)

Smokeville

I think your plan is a good one. I don't think you will go too far wrong. I wonder if there is any way you can put the bird vertical like a beer-can chicken so the fat will drain into one spot? I remember roasting geese and the fat run-off was amazing.

Also, I wonder if treating it like duck would be an idea, since the meat on both is dark.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=498.0

Rich

Smokeville

hunt_gather

Goose was ok, a bit on the dry side.  2 reasons for that:

1) I think I poked a few too many holes in the skin.  Goose has a TON of fat and needs a few holes for the drippings to escape but maybe I took that too far.

2) Bigger reason for dryness was time/temperature.   I was using a reliable meat thermometer and temp never got above 135.  When I do chickens I don't bother with temp, visual inspection is enough to know when done, but since it was my first goose I read some online recopes that recommended 165 degrees.  An hour after bird LOOKED done tem,p was still 135 but I pulled off anyway.  It was done  --  overdone, really, but tolerable with some gravy etc.

It was OK, but just OK, not the superb one wants for a holiday.  But now I know how to do it & next time will be better

SoCalBuilder

hunt_gather - I'm not sure the 165 degree in the breast holds for all birds. I know it works for chickens and turkey. At the other end of the spectrum, I did a couple of quail breasts and pulled them at about 145 and they were approaching over-done. Some more experienced folk will surely chime in here soon.

Habanero Smoker

For whole goose the USDA recommends 165°F measured in the thigh. I generally will only cook duck and geese to 155°F. The 135°F concerns me; that temperature would not dry out your duck, and it would be an unsafe temperature to eat poultry. Since the texture was dry, I believe you were much higher then 135°F.

What type of meat thermometer were you using?

When is the last time you checked it for accuracy, and/or calibrated it?
Testing Thermometer

Calculating the Boiling Point

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

Well, it may not have worked out the best, but it sure got me interested in trying it. I haven't had goose in at least 20 years, I bet.