Wood Choice

Started by renvette, November 22, 2010, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renvette

Is it a good or bad idea to use hickory to smoke turkey?  Any suggestions on smoke time is greatly appreciated.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Ka Honu

Hickory works well with turkey but I usually prefer a lighter wood (maple or pecan are faves).  Generally 2-3 hours of smoke (at 225-250°) followed by continued cook in smoker, oven, TBE, or whatever until the desired AT is achieved.  Then rest, carve, and eat.

KyNola

Being that I too am from KY, I will second the motion of the first young man from KY by saying hickory on turkey is indeed a good thing! :)

DTAggie

smoker pete

It's all GOOD!!!  Just smoked a 12lb turkey with (2)hickory to (1)apple (3 hours) and it was a rave at my wife's sewing club luncheon today ... hickory, pecan, apple, cheery, maple, and of course then you can mix things.  I like (2)pecan to (1)apple, or (2)hickory to (1)cherry, etc.  I will say that I have never used Jim Beam on poultry but I'll be giving that a try too soonest  :D ;)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

FLBentRider

I've done Hickory on Turkey more than a few times and never had a complaint.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SnellySmokesEm

I just did 2 hours of apple on my first turkey and it was good.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

SouthernSmoked

I too have done a turkey using Hickory but this year I will be using Apple.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

beefmann

have done maple and cherry with turkey

Mailman

I'm doing 8 lbs breast tomorrow was thinking apple and maple or apple and pecan any thoughts on those? and you pull from smoker @ 165* correct? Sorry not trying to steal thread.
If to error is human. Than I'm more human than most.

thirtydaZe

I'm going 2-3 hours of Oak, then topping off with an hour of Apple.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: Mailman on November 24, 2010, 08:19:07 AM
I'm doing 8 lbs breast tomorrow was thinking apple and maple or apple and pecan any thoughts on those? and you pull from smoker @ 165* correct? Sorry not trying to steal thread.

No worries. I'm an apple fan, but may give the hickory a shot tomorrow, or a combo of the two. 165 in the breast is what I use, but if you want to crisp up the skin, pull it a bit early and throw it on the grill or under the broiler to bring it up to the IT. Just watch it carefully.

smoker pete

Quote from: Mailman on November 24, 2010, 08:19:07 AM
I'm doing 8 lbs breast tomorrow was thinking apple and maple or apple and pecan any thoughts on those? and you pull from smoker @ 165* correct?

I have found (2) pecan to (1) apple to be a good combination in the past.  Pecan works great with poultry.  But then, it's ALL GOOD ...!!  165º in the breast is good number but I wouldn't go any higher.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

dumoch126

Anyone ever use mesquite for a short time?