Finally found a good butcher

Started by _Bear_, November 22, 2010, 03:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

Finally found a good butcher in town  :D. OH the things I am going to do to it  ;D

He ordered me some pork belly as well, should be in next week

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

FLBentRider

Brisket, Eh?

Looks like a nice one.

Is the Canadian grading system similar to the US?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

_Bear_

I have no idea, all I know is it's big ;D. At 13.5 lbs I figure at least 20 hrs and it is going to be -5*F tomorrow for a high temp
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

TestRocket

Quote from: _Bear_ on November 22, 2010, 04:23:55 PM
it is going to be -5*F tomorrow for a high temp

-5 degs and I'm all worried about cooking a turkey in a little rain on Thursday? Good luck with that brisket and stay warm!

BuyLowSellHigh

Well from where I sit that sure looks like a good one.   I've heard from a number of folks that Canada has some great beef.  Good luck with that beast - whatever you do, you'll love it!

But -5 °F as a high ?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

_Bear_

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on November 22, 2010, 06:58:30 PM
But -5 °F as a high ?

What to warm  ;D. Thats the price of living in the north. It's not really cold unntill it hits -30* LOL.

So this thing will not fit on one rack in the Bradley, so is there anyplace special to cut it or do I just sharpen up the knife and go for it?
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

sister bear

I have to say that it is -11C here right now and going to be -25C tonight with the wind chill.  Not very often we see those temps in the sunny Okanagan!
so....are you just going to smoke and slow cook or are you going to brine it first?  I do not know about smoking those large pieces or where to cut it....I thought you had a great butcher???   ;D

Ka Honu

A 13.5 pound brisket will normally fit on a Bradley tray although you may have to "hump" it up in the center (think "inchworm").  No worries - as it cooks, it will shrink and be just fine.  If it's "Choice" grade or better, it may take less than 20 hours (my last one - details here - was done in about 15 hours).  My outdoor temperature is much warmer than yours but the cook is based on the box temp so that shouldn't make much difference.

_Bear_

Quote from: sister bear on November 22, 2010, 07:38:21 PM
I have to say that it is -11C here right now and going to be -25C tonight with the wind chill.  Not very often we see those temps in the sunny Okanagan!
so....are you just going to smoke and slow cook or are you going to brine it first?  I do not know about smoking those large pieces or where to cut it....I thought you had a great butcher???   ;D

I am talkin *F , if we are talking *C we are at -24 here right now and looking for a high of -22 tomorrow. I thought the Okanagin was always sunny and warm  ;D. So you have a brisket in your freezer sis, when are you doing it? I am just spicing and smoking it in the Bradley, no brining. Should be about 20 hrs if I can get the cabnet warm enough. , then right after that it will be time to do the back bacon. Then I am taking a big hunk of each down to dads, I think he will enjoy it LOL. We are shut down at work due to the cold and high windchills (-42 windchill tonight) so I may as well spend some time smoking some grub for Christmas.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 22, 2010, 07:48:00 PM
A 13.5 pound brisket will normally fit on a Bradley tray although you may have to "hump" it up in the center (think "inchworm").  No worries - as it cooks, it will shrink and be just fine.  If it's "Choice" grade or better, it may take less than 20 hours (my last one - details here - was done in about 15 hours).  My outdoor temperature is much warmer than yours but the cook is based on the box temp so that shouldn't make much difference.
Thanks Ka Honu, I will just "inchworm" it onto a tray and give it a whirl. Man I wish I was in Hawaii righ now LOL, I am watching Five O as I type LOL

I really like the idea of triming the fat and putting it in a tray above the brisket, I think I am going to try that, thanks for the tip. Just have to figure out what I am going to use as a rub now.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: _Bear_ on November 22, 2010, 07:25:18 PM
Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on November 22, 2010, 06:58:30 PM
But -5 °F as a high ?

What to warm  ;D. Thats the price of living in the north. It's not really cold unntill it hits -30* LOL.

So this thing will not fit on one rack in the Bradley, so is there anyplace special to cut it or do I just sharpen up the knife and go for it?

:P

I lived in mid-Michingan for 12 years.  I now live in SE Texas.  When you're ready to defrost and thaw out, c'mon down -- 81 °F yesterday.    :D

I worked with a bunch of folks who lived in Fort Saskatchewan.  I asked them once what they did in summer.  Their answer, "if it lasts through a weekend, we have a picnic".

Ka Honu has you covered.  Some people like to separate the point from the flat, but I prefer to leave the whole thing intact. Both methods work.  For brisket I prefer (don't choke - it's a brand name, not politics) Montreal Steak Seasoning, with a bit of sugar added, 3:1 seasoning blend to sugar by volume.

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

Bear, great looking brisket.  If you're concerned about the Bradley performing well in -5 temps for 20 hours you could always kick the heat on high and leave it there for the entire smoking period and then move it to your house oven to finish the cooking process.

I noticed the label says brisket "point".  That's one heck of a point at 13 lbs! :)

sister bear

Ok - you win bragging rights for the coldest temps!  Contrary to any rumors you may have heard, I do not have a brisket in the freezer - yet!  I would like to try Montreal Smoked Beef next....luckily politics are not an issue for me....I love Montreal!  and their smoked meat!! :)  Will let you know when I start the process and take pictures along the way!

_Bear_

I could have swore you said you had one in your freezer, oh well, it's that getting old thing LOL. I am going to let mine age for a while before I smoke it (aka let it warm up outside a little). I can't find my favorite rub at Costco,so I may just rub this one down in Montreal spice. Doug is supposedly cominng down before Christmas sometime, so I am going to TRY and time it with that if he gives me enough warning.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!