19 pound turkey to smoke. Help!

Started by dumoch126, November 22, 2010, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumoch126

Hi all. I have a 19 lb turkey and won't have the oven available to transfer to. So , I am going to brine, then season and use apple and hickory at 225. What hints can u give me please? Total time? Crisping? Also how many hours should I use the blocks before I shut the smoker part and cook with the heat? I don't want to overpower the smoked taste too much. Last should I oil the skin to try and crisp? As u can see, I'm a newbie!
Thanks, sd

FLBentRider

If you don't want too much smoke taste, I would not use more than 6 pucks.

You are not going to get crsip skin without an oven or grill finish. There is just not enough heat produced in the Bradley.

That is a pretty big bird, make sure it fits, you may have to do it upright.

plan on 8-12 hours @225F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Make sure that vent is open all the way.  I would boost the temp up to 250 at least.  If you can, let the smoke generator stay on the entire time even though it's not producing smoke.  It will continue to cycle but that won't hurt anything.  Just knock the last burnt puck off of the burner plate.  It will help to provide a little bit of heat.

I would oil the skin although it is most likely not going to crisp up due to the low heat level.  If you are going to season the outside of the bird, the oil will help it to adhere to the skin.

Slamdunk

You mention you don't want it too smoky tasting. That being the case I would stay away from using the hickory and just go with the apple.

dumoch126

One more question, I think I can put the turkey in my Weber to crisp up the skin. What temperature should I use in the Weber and for how long. Should I take out when IT reaches around 150 and let the Weber do the rest?

Thank again, SD

FLBentRider

Quote from: dumoch126 on November 23, 2010, 09:13:19 AM
Should I take out when IT reaches around 150 and let the Weber do the rest?

That is a good plan.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dumoch126

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: dumoch126 on November 23, 2010, 06:55:17 PM
Is 350-400 ok, about 30 minutes?

Thats a good temperature to crisp the skin. I would keep it in the Weber until it was about 5°F before it's finishing temperature. Remove from the heat and tent with foil, and allow to rest.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)