Help...gravy

Started by bikergirl, November 24, 2010, 06:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikergirl

Hoping someone is out there...I did a test turkey...2 weeks ago.  It was perfect..10lb., 3 hrs. of smoke and another 5 at 225...BUT...I forgot about the gravy!!  How do you catch drippings?  I really don't want to move it to the big easy..... BUT if that is my only choice...so I can use a drip pan any one have ideas on temp and time??  Thanks!!

classicrockgriller

You can use chicken broth or turkey broth (can) for your gravy.

Tenpoint5

Stand your bird up in the Bradley and put a pan under it to catch the drippings
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

I brine my turkeys. So usually the drippings are too salty for gravy. I make from scratch.
Put 3 cans of broth in a pot, Add turkey neck, celery leaves, onions, red pepper, rosemary, thyme, and other spices as desired. Bring to a boil and then lower to a sim. Leave on sim and go fix the turkey, drink beer, or whatever  and come back to the gravy later.
The rest you need to time based upon when you will serve.
I put sausage in my dressing so I take the pan that the sausage was cooked in which should still have the drippings in it. Add  ¼ cup olive oil and mix in ½ cup flour. Stir and cook over low heat until it thickens. Remove turkey neck, celery, etc from the broth mix. Add in about ½ cup of the broth to the oil flour mixture, stir.  Let thicken and then add some more broth and stir. You should repeat this until you have the amount of gravy that you want and at the consistency that you want. You may need to add a little more flour to thicken. Add a little bit of gravy master (or other browning sauce)to darken to taste, Add salt and pepper to taste. When done, drain through a colander into a bowl.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

bikergirl

bikergirl

if I put a drip pan under the turkey, say on another rack doesn't it effect the flow of the smoke?? sounds like using canned chick broth is the best way???

classicrockgriller

Quote from: bikergirl on November 24, 2010, 06:43:53 PM
if I put a drip pan under the turkey, say on another rack doesn't it effect the flow of the smoke?? sounds like using canned chick broth is the best way???

Use a smaller catch pan, try not to use one that would cover the whole tray.

You want some not, all the drippings.

punchlock

IMHO nothing makes better gravy than a nice dark roux....

Scotty-G

When I brine my turkey I don't use the drippings - too salty.
Instead, I usually pick up some extra turkey wings or thighs and roast them along with some veggies
That is what I use to make my gravy

Got the idea from Food Network - Tyler Florence "ultimate" recipe <-- yes this is a link to the recipe I start/tailor from

I also add some merlot at the end to improve the flavor  :D

Habanero Smoker

Also if you smoke/cook the bird horizontally a lot of juices will collect inside the cavity. So be careful moving the bird out of the smoker. You will find that even collecting the juices, you still may not have enough to make the amount of gravy to feed a crowd. So I use a recipe similar to what is in the link Scott-G posted, but I like use the giblets that come with the bird, and purchase extra necks and gizzards.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Scotty-G

The only reason I don't use the giblets is we make a stock from the carcase for a lemon turkey noodle soup the next day and I use the neck and giblets for that.