Smoke time for turkey breast & 3 legs

Started by wahoojim, November 24, 2010, 09:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wahoojim

I've smoke a few whole turkeys before but never in the Bradley. 

I'm smoking a 7lb turkey breast and 3 2lb legs.  My wife thought it would be cool to tell the kids the turkey had 2 legs.  Anyways, I'm figuring the breast will take about 3 1/2 - 4 hours, but will the addition of the 6lbs of legs greatly increase my cooking time?  Should I maybe start the legs 1st then add the breast?  Any help would be appreciated.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute for advice.  Oh well!

smoker pete

Welcome to the forum wahoojim.  3.5 to 4 hours on the turkey breast sounds about right.  Haven't done a breast and separate legs but when you pull the breast at 160º you can check the temp on the legs.  They should be at 180º.  If not, you can always pop them the oven or on the grill to finish up.  When I need to give poultry a little extra shot I do it at an oven temp of 425º but I stay on top of it.

You say you haven't smoked turkey in a Bradley then make sure your chamber is preheated to 250º or higher and the vent is wide open.  Happy Thanksgiving.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

beefmann

welcome to the forum and pete has you  set up

wahoojim

Thanks for the advice.  Just checked the breast and looking good.  Probably will be done a little too early, but oh well.  Decided not to smoke the legs and I hadn't noticed that they are already smoked.  Will put them in the oven closer to dinner time.

Can't wait to bite into the turkey!