Turkey positioning

Started by db14, December 22, 2010, 09:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

db14

I think I have gathered most of the info I need on here to do my first turkey in the OBS for Christmas Eve.  The question I still have is I assume most people put it in breast side up, but do you rotate the rack?  I haven't heard anybody say either way.  I know it wouldn't hurt, but it probably won't be the easiest thing to do with a 16lbs bird on there.  Other than that I will be brining and rubbing that thing down almost exactly like I do with chicken and smoking for 3 hours of hickory at 225-250F and then to an IT of 165-175F.  Any other pointers or anything you think I might be missing would be appreciated.

beefmann

if you  have a straight un modified smoker  i would rotate the rack every two hours or  so, if you  have a fan in the smoker  you  should be fine and  not have to.

Good luck with your   turkey

TestRocket

I also plan to brine for 24 hours and then rinse the bird off real well and then let air dry in the fridge overnight and then put a little oil and seasoning on it.

lumpy

No matter what I smoke, I always rotate the racks.
Top to bottom and front to back every hour or so.

Lump

OldHickory

I use two racks to support the bird and place breast up.  Works for me.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Poolshark

I do mine breast side up and move it around the grate a bit.