My first turkey in the bradley with some apple pie

Started by Chili Head, November 25, 2010, 08:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

classicrockgriller

I'm gonna make some of this before Deer Season ends.

We'll make sure all guns are unloaded and locked up. ;D

jiggerjams

I am going to be going home and making some apple pie tonight for the holidays. I have been thinking about this everyday for the past week or so because it is special. It will be the drink to share for the holidays. So I thought it needed a special name. Something that when you heard it you know it would be fun times, like the holidays.

Hmmm...Hmmmm well it is suppose to taste like apple pie, and it is a liquid. Ahh I got it!! I am going to call it LAP DANCE  (Liquid Apple Pie)

Should be good for some laughs  ??? I think (hope).

JJ

Tenpoint5

Too Funny James!! Which ever recipe you make I am sure it will be a good time.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

Hey Chili,

How about a little more info on the turkey? Cooking temp and time along with wood and how long you ran smoke. And what size was the bird and did you do anything to the skin? I'll be doing my first turkey in the Bradley on Saturday and could use your help!

Thanks!  ;D

Chili Head

Test Rocket I ran the temps as high as my Bradley would go and rolled the hickory smoke for three hours. The bird was 14 lbs and I brined it for two days in the fridge first. It cooked in the bradley for 6 hours total to 160° (it was cold outside) then in the house oven at 375° to a temp of 170° .  I put olive oil on the skin for color and to crisp it but we dont eat the skin anymore. If you've never brined a turkey before I would highly recomend it! Just run out to your local hardware store and get a 5gal bucket with a lid and try the brine I posted. You wont be sorry!!  ;)

Let me know if I can be of any further help  ;)  

Chili Head

2 gallons water
1 cup Kosher salt or pickeling salt
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar

In a large bucket or container large enough to hold your turkey, mix together the water, salt, garlic, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Store in a refrigerator, and soak your turkey for 2 days before smoking.

jiggerjams

I am getting floaties in the cider as it simmers. It appears the cider is breaking up. Is this normal? Do I strain the finished product before adding the alcohol? I am getting concerned.

Chili Head

No need to strain it unless a spice bag comes open  ;) there will be sedement in the jars once you're done. Just make sure you keep stirring it once you start filling your jars or jugs  ;)  Floaties and Sedement is normal.  ;)

jiggerjams

Thanks for the heads up CH. I can stop drinking the vodka straight now  :D

Chili Head

And I thought I was the only one around here living on vampire time  ;D

jiggerjams

Not usually this late but I ran myself behind the clock and I am now under the gun to get everything prepared that I want to. By the way CH and Tenpoint five this is delicious. I took some of each recipe and adjusted as I went along.

Thanks for the support.

JJ

TestRocket

Thank you CH. I'll be brining my bird later today!  ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jiggerjams on December 23, 2010, 01:28:39 AM
Not usually this late but I ran myself behind the clock and I am now under the gun to get everything prepared that I want to. By the way CH and Tenpoint five this is delicious. I took some of each recipe and adjusted as I went along.

Thanks for the support.

JJ

JJ just watch out as it will sneak up behind you and crack you on the back of the head with a 2x4!! Glad you enjoyed it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jiggerjams

Ahh so it's a drink I should be serving the wife then ::) ;) ;D