Wild Turkey smoke/cook time

Started by electricshaman, November 26, 2010, 10:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricshaman

Hey Everybody,
Want to smoke and cook and wild turkey.  It weighs appx ten lbs.  Hints on smoke time, cook time and brine time.  Also any ideas for a brine recipe.  Thanks a bunch!!

TMB

Quote from: electricshaman on November 26, 2010, 10:20:38 AM
Hey Everybody,
Want to smoke and cook and wild turkey.  It weighs appx ten lbs.  Hints on smoke time, cook time and brine time.  Also any ideas for a brine recipe.  Thanks a bunch!!
Here is a brine that I use a lot....

1/2 cup sea salt
1 gal water
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar                        Mix all BUT bourbon on the stove till well mixed , cool and add turkey to brine.  Now after it's sat in brine   
1 cup apple cider vinegar                  for 8 to 10 hrs add the bourbon and let it soak another 6 to 8 hrs, remove bird wash off slightly and smoke till
8 oz borubon                                   165 IT is reached!
1 tbs   black pepper 
1 tbs   white pepper                             
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

RAF128

Quesstion.    What does the bourbon do?    If it were me I save it for the smoke. :D

TMB

Quote from: RAF128 on November 26, 2010, 11:55:55 AM
Quesstion.    What does the bourbon do?    If it were me I save it for the smoke. :D
Well from what I under stand, the bourbon seems to take the wild taste out of the meat and somewhat tenderises it.
All I know is it works for me.  I had people at the wild game cook off swear my wild turkey was everyday store bought turkey not wild game.

This brine did wonders for my deer as well.

RAF128

OK, makes sense.    I also think the bourbon when drank would take the wild taste out too :D.    Sorry, couldn't help myself.

TMB

Quote from: RAF128 on November 27, 2010, 04:33:23 AM
OK, makes sense.    I also think the bourbon when drank would take the wild taste out too :D.    Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Just remember not to drink to much, you have to save some for the brine!