Fibrous casings and smoke penetration

Started by ADH, November 27, 2010, 07:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADH

Planning on doing a summer sausage next weekend for the first time. The only ? I have is after the drying at 120 and PID bump to 130, about how long should I let the smoke roll? I will be using 2.5" x 20" LEM fibrous casings. Does 2 or 3 hours sound about right?

I have search the forum with no luck. Please go easy on me ;D

If I am able to find my camera I will post pics.  Thanks

Sailor

I dry my 2.5" x 20" LEM fibrous casings at 140 for 1.5 hours and then check to see if they need a bit more drying but 1.5 hrs has always seemed to be enough time.  (Some dry a 130 then bump to 140 and roll the smoke.)  Then I bump to 150 for 3 hrs and roll smoke for 2 of those hours.  Then it is to 160 for 3 hrs then 170 for 3 hours and then to 175 until IT of 152.  Some roll smoke for another hour at the 160 area.  I find 2 hrs of Hickory is fine for my taste.  The beauty of making your own sausage is that you get to fine tune it to your own taste.  Good luck and let us see what you are a cookin.   ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

ADH

Well i didn't wait Stuff last night and into the smoker this morning. Temp is 149 now. Next noob ? is. I starting to see a little fat on the v-tray is this normal?

Fatout?

Sailor

It is looking mighty good.  Nice color.  I would not worry about the little drips.  Just don't take the cabinet temp over 175. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

bundy

NePaSmoKer

Nice sausage

Next time try this on your PID

Pre heat your smoker with PID setting 1. at 130* for 1.5 hrs. Give the smoker the .5 to heat up then hand the remainder of this time to dry the casing some. Pull your probe up higher in the smoker.

Setting

2. 140.......2-3 hrs with smoke
3. 150.......3 hrs..smoke opt
4. 160.......3 hrs
5. 170.......3 hrs
6. 175.......3 hrs

Note times are approx depending on how much SS you have loaded and there will be a stall. Cold and wind will affect the times also.

ADH

Thanks for the replys! They came out good just a little bland. Next time I will crank up the spices a little more.

ADH

Quote from: bundy on November 28, 2010, 05:45:49 PM
I ain't never seen a V-tray that clean!

I use oven clearner on it after every smoke. :)