pork loin

Started by mildeer, July 22, 2005, 12:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mildeer

I just bought a 7lb pork loin to make pulled pork.How long should I smoke it? I plan on cooking it for 2 hours in the oven at 350 first.

also I am looking for a good rub for wings.
thank you
Mildeer

Larry Miller

Phone Guy

Please <font color="red">do not </font id="red">use a pork loin for pulled pork. The shoulder or butt ( which is the upper part of the shoulder)is best for pulled pork. In my opinion the loin has many other options and the meathod for pulled pork would require it to be cooked to long. I would use that more foe a roast or chops. IMHO.

Phone Guy

Also if you want the smoke flavor it should be smoked first and the oven would be optional. The smoke doesn't penetrate after the meat reaches 140 degrees. I would go with the loin in the BS if you were going to slice it. A nice rub then bacon on the top rack or directly on the loin.

JJC

PG is right, mildeer.  Smoke first, then put in the oven if you have to to save time.  I do 7-12 lb. pork loins in the BS and slow cook them to completion (155-160F in the center for me), then FTC for at least an hour.  Smoke for the first 4 hr only. Takes about 1 to 1.5 hr per pound, but it's worth it!  Serve it sliced and warm for a main course.  It also makes great sammiches when cold.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

I have to agree with John and Phone Guy. You need to smoke first, and you don't want to take a pork loin over 160 F.

In order to get meat to a texture that it can be pulled, the meat must be cooked through "doness", or in other words you have to over cook the meat to get "falling-apart" tenderness. Most members on this board will take the internal temperature of the meat to 185 F and higher. You will only get good results cooking meat through "doness" using the tougher cuts of meats; like butts (shoulders), ribs, brisket etc.  These cuts have a lot more tough connective tissue that will continue to break down under low heat through out the cooking process, and still keep the meat from drying out. If you do this with a tender cut that does not have tough connective tissue, such as a pork loin you will get "falling-apart" tenderness, but it will be too dry to eat.

<font color="green">I forgot to include the rub recipe for wings.</font id="green">

Any poultry rub can be used on wings. Go to this site http://susan.rminor.com/forums/ and check out the recipes for chicken and turkey.

Here is a rub I came across while looking for Beer Can Chicken recipes. I use it often for chicken. You can adjust the cayenne pepper for your own taste.

Cuban Spice Rub
2 Tbs. Sweet Paprika
1 Tbs. Garlic Powder
1 Tbs. Onion Powder
1 Tbs. Thyme, dried, crushed
1 Tbs. Kosher Salt
1 Tsp. Ground Black Pepper
½ Tsp. Cayenne Pepper, ground
½ Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
2 Tsp. Ground Allspice
1 Tsp. Ground Ginger
1 Tsp. Ground Cumin

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. At least two hours before cooking, or better yet, the night before, lightly spray or brush the chicken all over with the oil, then generously apply rub.

For a different flavor try this recipe. Again, if you like it spicey you can always add Cayenne Pepper.

Five Spice Chicken
1/4  cup soy sauce
2  tablespoons orange juice
1  teaspoon five-spice powder
1  clove garlic, minced
2  tablespoons honey

For marinade, combine soy sauce, orange juice, five-spice powder, and garlic. Place chicken in a plastic bag. Add marinade; seal bag. Turn chicken to coat well. Marinade for 6 to 12 hours, turning chicken occasionally.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bsolomon

I agree - this is not the cut for pulled pork.  Here's my recommendation for the pork loin:

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84

JJC

Barry, that recipe sounds great--I'm definitely trying it on my next smoked pork loin!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BurntFork Ken

Picked up a small loin today (3 3/4 lbs), and am going to smoke it on the OBS first no hotter than about 120 using maple pucks - I'm gonna try it for about 2 hours.  I love the bacon on the upper rack idea! 

The injection is apple juice, pure maple syrup, and spices.  The rub I use has absolutely no salt, which is fine, because the injection does.

After the OBS, the loin is headed to the Big Green Egg at 250 until done.  Slice and enjoy!

Cheers to everyone, I'm really diggin' everybody and the fellowship on this board!
Ken